ZachariahWells-L Archives

Archiver > ZachariahWells > 1999-05 > 0927762500

From: <>
Subject: Re: Germema Wells Sturgill Questions
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 19:48:20 EDT

Hi , As you know Ky. passed a law in 1852 mandating birth ,death & marriage
records be keep. It was repealed at the start of the civil war.This was taken
from thoes records.
Were there mistakes? certainly but sometimes from lack of records a
genealogist has is a propondance of Information.
As for the spelling my GGGrandfather Milton Kennedy was listed in 1850 as
Milton Keneda, in 1860 as Milton Canada to name a few.
As for the county name changes. I know in my research I have seen birth
places follow the county name changes. My McDavid's list Scott Co. Va. as
birth place knowing Scott was not formed at the time of birth but at the time
of the record was made this area was in Scott Co. I have seen this in German
records as well.
These Death records do not list who gave info. but I would think her husband
would have been the informent. He lived a few years longer & was said to have
moved back & forth across the mountains to Va.
What do we base her age on? Was it based on 1850 census?

Roger Kennedy

This thread: