ZABEL-L Archives

Archiver > ZABEL > 2009-02 > 1235070836

From: ,
Subject: [ZABEL] Sophia ZABLE (ZABEL) immigrated to U.S. in 1858
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:13:56 -0000

Author: bobboss55
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.zabel/183/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Trying to make sense out what I have on a great great grandmother. Her name was Sophia Dorthea/Dorothea (maybe ZABLE / ZABEL. The name I think is correct, it's hard to tell as I've seen it many different ways. On an application for a widows pension she listed Doelitz Germany as her birthplace and Sepyember 24 / 25 as ner birthdate. She saig her father4s name was Fred on another form. The question is that it appears that she was married before she married my great great grandfather, John SOMMERVILLE, on October 12, 1860. In the Patterson/Pattison Family Association, they list her daughter, Augusta Louisa ZABLE, as being married to Stanford Lindsay Patterson. They further state thst John SOMMERVILLE was her step-father and that he married her moth, Sophia Dorthea ZABLE. One of the question is if she was married before, what was her married name and wehat was her maiden name? It is almost like ZABLE was her married name, although she lists her fathetr as Fred ZABLE. On some do!
cuments her maifen name is listed as DOUGLAS. It is possible that her maiden name was ZABLE/ZABEL and her first married name was DOUGLAS. Was it common that women would revert to their maiden name after their husband died or divorced them in the 1850's? Her daughter Augusta is said to be born in 1859, she immigrated from Prussia to the U.S. in 1858 so either she was married when she came or got married soon after arriving. Any information on her would be very thanfully received.

Bob

Important Note: