YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2011-12 > 1324073474

From: "Nivard Ovington" <>
Subject: Re: [YORKSGEN] Wills and probate
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 22:11:14 -0000

Hi Coral

1858 and onwards all wills & Administrations are indexed Nationally in yearly calendars so it does
not matter where he died

Ancestry have the 1861 to 1941 with a few exceptions

But cover the years 1871 & 2

Searching them I found no Thompson BELL or Anne BELL

Then looking at the GRO deaths there are no Thompson BELL deaths registered in 1871

There is an Adam Thompson BELL death registered in 1871, is that your man?

Sadly no Adam Thompson BELL in the Probate Calendars either

I have a copy of Unclaimed Money Register of 1910, no Thompson BELLs listed, one Adam BELL but no
obvious sign it could be your man

Looking at the 1861 census for Thompson BELL he is enumerated as an Ag Lab, which does not seem to
be to promising for leaving a will or having assets worth leaving

I take it you are aware of an earlier Militia record for Hardy BELL 1900 - 1906

Nivard Ovington in Cornwall (UK)

>I wonder if anyone can give me suggestions as to how I can find the will of
> :
> My Grandfather was given the Christian name of Hardy (full name Hardy Bell).
> It was said that any male given the name of Hardy would be able to inherit
> some property. Hardy Bell was born in Sheffield Yorkshire in 1878 and killed
> in action in 1915 in Flanders. He never investigated or claimed this
> property and on his death his wife applied to inherit on his behalf but was
> told that it had 'gone to Chancery'.
> On researching his ancestors I found that a Thompson Bell had married Ann
> Hardy in Lincolnshire in 1815. I cannot find a death of said Ann Hardy. My
> dilemma is where to look for the will Sheffield or Lincolnshire and aprox
> what year/s.

This thread: