YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2002-07 > 1026543961

From: "Joan Gaskin" <>
Subject: Re: [YKS] CAPT. OATES
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 08:06:01 +0100

Pam,

I saw your previous question and thought you would be overburdened with
replies more erudite than mine, so didn't respond then. I believe he was the
son of a Meanwood, Leeds, OATES family and that Titus was a nickname, probably
after the earlier Titus OATES I saw mentioned in an on-list reply. I believe
there is a plaque recording his passing on one of the pillars in Meanwood
Church. He may well be connected to the family in Weetwood (which you were
sent from the 1881 Census) as Weetwood adjoins Meanwood. My Hutchinson
Encyclopedia gives his full name as Laurence Edward Grace OATES (1880-1912).
There is a small booklet on the History of Meanwood by Fred Casperson, and I
wonder if there is mention of him in there: someone on the List may have a
copy and do a look-up.

I hope this helps,
All the best,
Joan