YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2000-07 > 0962935204

Subject: Re: Publican versus other occupations
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:00:04 EDT

Val Gray writes:

<< Hello Listers
I think I need "clarification," or just plain help.
The ancestor that I am researching is John Abram "Publican" of the New
Inn
Tony was kind enough to give me this information.
To Tony - I could say prove it..But I would sooner say HOW can I prove
it. On all the documents ,census, birth certificates of his children,
his death certificate it states that he was a wheelwright. True the
1881 census says Abode- Skipton Rd. New Inn - occupation Wheelwright.
But his son lived at Bachelor Gardens - and he wasn't a bachelor<g>
I wrote to the Pub Index List with my inquiry and they answered my
inquiry with a Thank you for your "contribution" to the index.
I have also had replies about other members of my family from other
lists and find I have the same problem...a tradesman found to be a
Publican also, yet there too is no mention of it on any certificates or
census.
I am concerned that I may have inadvertently sent Pub Index some errors
that they may consider to be fact.
How do I find the information on Publicans?, Was this a secondary job to
a tradesman job?
What is the correct definition of a publican? I thought it was a person
who owns and operates a drinking and eating establishment
Was being a Publican more prestigious than a tradesman, if so why not
claim it as an occupation on the census and birth certificates?
Thanks
Val - Ontario, Canada

gave you all the "clues" you needed........!!

...........the beneficent ABRAMS of the New Inn and John ABRAM, Blacksmith,
of the New Inn are the same person......and the New Inn is just as much in
Bilton Lane as Skipton Road (i.e. corner site).......the field that was
loaned for the athletics adjoined the New Inn.........

..........Definition : Publican = Innkeeper

..........other definitions for Innkeeper are : Ale Draper - Hosteller -
Kepegest - Tavener - Tabernarius - Bluffer - Boniface - Ordinary Keeper -
Piper

............it would appear that John ABRAM found it too hot in the forge and
became the publican/innkeeper of the New Inn in his latter years.......(Tony
Blaire, Prime Minister = Tony Blaire, Barrister............I wonder what
will appear on his death certificate....??)

..........as regards further proof.......you will now need to employ a
researcher to examine the Brewster Session records (at Wakefield....??), and
hopefully discover application to Court by John ABRAM/S for licence to
sell..........also a dip into the Innkeeper Recognizances by such a
researcher would be beneficial..........

.........BTW.......if you want "boring" on the folk-lore surrounding the
naming of Batchelor Gardens, I would be happy to oblige at a later

Tony Cheal
Harrogate Historical Society and re-Population Study Group

This thread: