YODER-L Archives

Archiver > YODER > 2000-08 > 0966721097

From: "Charles W. Carey" <>
Subject: Re: [YODER] WALT YODER with Woody Herman Band
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 14:38:17

Yoder cousins,

At 16:42 8/19/2000 -0700, Chris wrote:
>WALT YODER, BASSIST WITH WOODY HERMAN?
>
>Who can tell us more about WALT YODER. When Woody Herman
>(1913-1987) formed a band around the nucleus of the Isham Jones
>band which folded in 1936, the band was initially a co-operative
>group. It included fl├╝gelhorn player Joe Bishop, bassist WALT
>YODER, drummer Frank Carlson and trombonist Neil Reid.
>
>CAN ANY OF OUR READERS tell us about this Walt Yoder, his
>origins and line, and what became of him?

Maybe some of our Kansas cousins can fill us in on his family background?
Here is Walt's biography, from John Chilton's "Who's Who of Jazz",
published in 1979:

-----------------------
YODER, 'Walt' Walter E.
String-bass
Born Hutchinson, Kansas, 21st April 1914

Began playing piano at the age of ten, switched to bass during teens. Was
one of the founder-members of Woody Herman's band in 1936, prior to that
had worked with Joe Haymes, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, and with Isham Jones.
Left Herman in 1942, settled in California. Worked regularly with Ben
Pollack in the late 1940s and early 1950s, also worked with Bob Crosby,
Russ Morgan, Gordon Jenkins, etc. Free-lance from home in Studio City [CA]
during 1970s.