YELTON-L Archives

Archiver > YELTON > 2001-11 > 1007082417

From: "Cheryl Chasin" <>
Subject: [YELTON] John H. & Judith Yelton
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 20:06:57 -0500

Cousins,

I ran across something kind of strange in the 1870 Census for Campbell
County, KY. On p. 250 appears the household of Judith M. Yelton, age 67.
She's listed first, apparently as the head of the household. Next are
Patrick, age 23, and Lucinda, age 21. The last person listed is John H.
Yelton, age 63 and born in NC. That's undoubtedly her husband, the son of
James & Elizabeth Yelton. So why isn't he listed first, as would normally
be the case?

The only thing I can think of is that John had died very recently, between
June 1, 1870 (the census "as of" date) and October 22, 1870 (the date this
household was actually visited). The census taker asked for head of
household first, and didn't metion the June 1st date until after he had
already written the other names.

Does anyone else have a theory on this?

Cheryl

This thread: