WVTAYLOR-L Archives

Archiver > WVTAYLOR > 2001-09 > 1001470077

From: "jim" <>
Subject: Re: [WVTAYLOR] John Giles b1780, wife Ludessa Bishop family; Taylor/Calhoun C...
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 22:07:57 -0400

Well Lyle, I have to put my data into this too. I have little relationship
involvement so my interest is from the capacity of studying Taylor Co
genealogy and history. Your solution as given in the message I'm replying
to, is what I currently have for Martha's three children pre-Henry J
Whitehair. I had not seen the solution offered by Marjorie Smallwood before
(Silas with a first wife Martha ?). This question warrants serious
investigation and resolution. For now, here is my report. I wouuld send it
privately but I believe we have stirred up considerable interest on the net.
I welcome additions and/or corrections.
Jim Simon

Descendants of John Giles

Generation No. 1

1. John1 Giles was born Abt. 1775 in England, and died 1867 in Taylor
County, WV. He married Ladocia Bishop. She was born 1788 in VA, and died
1877 in Taylor County, WV.

Children of John Giles and Ladocia Bishop are:
+ 2 i. Elizabeth S2 Giles, born August 23, 1810 in VA; died February 05,
1889 in Harrison County, WV.
3 ii. William Giles, born December 04, 1812.
4 iii. Joseph Giles, born February 12, 1815.
5 iv. Judith Giles, born January 21, 1817.
6 v. John Giles, born July 20, 1819.
+ 7 vi. Mary Giles, born March 04, 1822 in Augusta County, VA; died April
15, 1849 in Taylor County, WV.
+ 8 vii. Frances Ann Giles, born November 28, 1826 in Taylor County, WV;
died October 09, 1878 in Harrison County, WV.
+ 9 viii. Silas S Giles, born March 08, 1829; died October 31, 1913 in
Taylor County, WV.
+ 10 ix. Martha J Giles, born September 22, 1831 in Taylor County, WV.

Generation No. 2

2. Elizabeth S2 Giles (John1) was born August 23, 1810 in VA, and died
February 05, 1889 in Harrison County, WV. She married Samuel Woolard
February 18, 1831 in Augusta County, VA. He was born 1798 in Augusta
County, VA, and died Bet. 1880 - 1889 in Harrison County, WV.

More About Samuel Woolard:
Residence: 1840, Augusta County, VA

Children of Elizabeth Giles and Samuel Woolard are:
11 i. Ladocia3 Woolard, born Abt. 1832.
12 ii. John Robert Woolard, born May 18, 1834 in Augusta County, VA; died
April 19, 1891. He married (1) Margaret Ann Calvert Palmer March 22, 1860
in Doddridge County, WV; born August 23, 1843 in Fauquier County, VA; died
in Jackson County, MO. He married (2) Matilda Ann Calvert 1868; born 1849.

Notes for John Robert Woolard:
drc indicates John and Margaret were divorced before 1868.

13 iii. Samuel Woolard, born Abt. 1836.
14 iv. Jane Ellen Woolard, born 1836 in Augusta County, VA. She married
Cornelius Poole September 30, 1858 in Taylor County, WV; born December 27,
1817 in Taylor County. WV; died February 17, 1880 in Taylor County, WV.

More About Cornelius Poole:
Burial: Lake Cem, Taylor Co, WV

15 v. William H Woolard, born 1837 in Augusta County, VA; died July 06,
1898 in Marion County, WV. He married Eliza Jane Davis January 01, 1890 in
Harrison County, WV; born 1851.

More About William H Woolard:
Residence: 1880, Home of parents, Harrison Co, WV

Notes for Eliza Jane Davis:
Believe Eliza was previously married and had at least 3 children when she
and William were married. She was probably a Davis eince the marriage
records say her parents were Lewis and Harriet Davis and gives her name as
Mowrey.

16 vi. Lloyd Woolard, born Abt. 1838.
17 vii. George F Woolard, born Abt. 1839 in Taylor County, WV. He married
Irene Rutherford November 13, 1870 in Taylor County, WV; born 1845 in Taylor
County, WV.

More About George F Woolard:
Residence: 1880, Harrison County, WV

18 viii. Alonzo W Woolard, born Abt. 1840.

More About Alonzo W Woolard:
Residence: 1880, Home of parents, Harrison Co, WV

19 ix. Mary Woolard, born Abt. 1842.
20 x. Virginia F Woolard, born 1846 in Taylor County, WV. She married John
D Jenkins September 20, 1865 in Taylor County, WV; born 1840 in Monongalia
County, WV.
21 xi. Sarah Catherine Woolard, born February 1850. She married William
Rogers Crayton May 15, 1870 in Tyler county, WV; born 1848.
22 xii. Adolphus Woolard, born 1852 in Taylor County, WV. He married Nancy
Virginia Johnson November 11, 1877 in Harrison County, WV; born 1854 in
Harrison County, WV.

More About Adolphus Woolard:
Residence: 1880, Harrison County, WV

7. Mary2 Giles (John1) was born March 04, 1822 in Augusta County, VA, and
died April 15, 1849 in Taylor County, WV. She married Charles Francis
Smallwood Abt. 1841, son of James Smallwood and Elizabeth. He was born Abt.
1815 in Rockingham County, VA, and died December 07, 1885 in Taylor County,
WV.

More About Mary Giles:
Burial: Will Currey Cem, Taylor Co, WV

More About Charles Francis Smallwood:
Residence: 1860, Home of Silas Giles, Taylor Co, WV

Children of Mary Giles and Charles Smallwood are:
23 i. James Thomas3 Smallwood, born November 21, 1842 in Augusta County,
VA; died February 19, 1925 in Marion County, WV. He married (1) Hannah
Louisa Hildebrand July 15, 1869 in Monongalia County, WV; born December 13,
1849 in Monongalia County, WV; died November 26, 1902 in Taylor County, WV.
He married (2) Mary Frances Hildebrand May 06, 1914 in Monongalia County,
WV; born May 25, 1856 in Monongalia County, WV; died August 03, 1937 in
Monongalia County, WV.

More About James Thomas Smallwood:
Residence: 1850, Home of James Davison, Taylor Co, WV

24 ii. John Henry Smallwood, born May 02, 1844 in Taylor County, WV; died
January 24, 1924 in Marion County, WV. He married Margaret A Hildebrand
June 14, 1864 in Marion County, WV; born June 17, 1842 in Greene County, PA;
died May 07, 1929 in Marion County, WV.

More About John Henry Smallwood:
Residence: 1850, Home of John Davison, Taylor Co, WV

25 iii. Charles Frank Smallwood, born 1846 in Rockingham County, VA; died
May 22, 1880 in Taylor County, WV. He married Caroline Ray February 23,
1869 in Taylor County, WV; born 1847 in VA; died July 06, 1892 in Taylor
County, WV.

More About Charles Frank Smallwood:
Residence: 1860, Home of Silas Giles

More About Caroline Ray:
Residence: 1880, Head of household, Taylor Co, WV

26 iv. Silas William Smallwood, born February 25, 1848 in Taylor County,
WV; died December 11, 1928. He married Mary Jane Scranage August 1873 in
Taylor County, WV; born 1851 in Taylor County, WV; died 1891.

8. Frances Ann2 Giles (John1) was born November 28, 1826 in Taylor County,
WV, and died October 09, 1878 in Harrison County, WV. She married Joseph M
Hall March 28, 1850 in Taylor County, WV. He was born 1826 in VA.

Children of Frances Giles and Joseph Hall are:
27 i. Emma O3 Hall, born 1851.
28 ii. Benjamin F Hall, born 1854 in Harrison County, WV. He married Mary
Elizabeth Wiseman October 23, 1878 in Taylor County, WV; born October 28,
1855 in Taylor County, WV; died January 08, 1913 in Taylor County, WV.

More About Mary Elizabeth Wiseman:
Burial: Lawler Cem, Taylor Co, WV

29 iii. Isaphona Hall, born 1857.
30 iv. Jerome Hall, born 1859.

9. Silas S2 Giles (John1) was born March 08, 1829, and died October 31,
1913 in Taylor County, WV. He married Lucinda Mason November 09, 1852 in
Taylor County, WV, daughter of Benjamin Mason and Elizabeth Poole. She was
born December 22, 1833, and died March 18, 1894 in Taylor County, WV.

More About Silas S Giles:
Burial: Harmony Grove Cem, Taylor Co, WV

More About Lucinda Mason:
Burial: Harmony Grove Cem, Taylor Co, WV

Children of Silas Giles and Lucinda Mason are:
31 i. George Washington3 Giles, born April 06, 1854; died July 07, 1939.
He married (1) Laura Currey. He married (2) Susan Romine.
32 ii. Elizabeth Ann Giles, born 1856 in Taylor County, WV. She married
George W Grow March 01, 1876 in Taylor County, WV; born 1849 in Taylor
County, WV.
33 iii. Benjamin F Giles, born 1858.
34 iv. Evan A Giles, born 1865 in WV. He married Artentia A Magill October
17, 1886 in Taylor County, WV; born 1868 in WV.
35 v. Viola Giles, born 1871.
36 vi. Mary Etta Giles, born 1872 in Taylor County, WV. She married Odus M
Currey February 25, 1900 in Taylor County, WV; born 1872 in Taylor County,
WV.

10. Martha J2 Giles (John1) was born September 22, 1831 in Taylor County,
WV. She married (1) Unknown. She married (2) Henry J Whitehair October
11, 1858 in Taylor County, WV, son of Jonathan Whitehair and Sarah Jackson.
He was born 1824, and died Bef. 1890 in Mineral County, WV.

More About Martha J Giles:
Residence: 1890, Mineral County, WV

Notes for Henry J Whitehair:
Henry was a Civil War soldier. He enlisted in Grafton in the West Virginia
12th Infantry Regiment, Company H. Henry and Martha's children were placed
in family homes or in the "poor house" sometime between 1865 and 1870. It
appears as if both parents may have died or been the victims of the
catastrophic event which caused the giving up of their children. The muster
of the National Cemetery indicates Henry was killed in action in the Civil
War but gives no date of death. The whereabouts of Martha has not been
ascertained.

More About Henry J Whitehair:
Burial: Grafton National Cem, Taylor Co, WV
Military service: Co H, 12th WV Inf, Civil War

Children of Martha Giles and Unknown are:
37 i. Silas3 Giles.
38 ii. George W Giles, born 1850 in Taylor County, WV. He married
Henrietta Binnegar December 18, 1872 in Taylor County, WV; born 1851 in
Harrison County, WV.
39 iii. Sultana J Giles, born 1846 in Taylor County, WV. She married Noah
Winemiller December 12, 1864 in Taylor County, WV; born 1843 in Upshur
County, WV.

Children of Martha Giles and Henry Whitehair are:
40 i. Waitman T3 Whitehair, born May 1860 in Taylor County, WV. He married
Manerva Richards December 18, 1879 in Harrison County, WV; born 1854 in
Harrison County, WV.

More About Waitman T Whitehair:
Residence: 1870, Home of E B Smith, Taylor Co, WV

41 ii. Virginia C Whitehair, born 1862.

More About Virginia C Whitehair:
Residence: 1870, Home of E B Smith, Taylor Co, WV

42 iii. Henry Whitehair, born 1863.

More About Henry Whitehair:
Residence: 1870, Taylor County, WV Poor House

43 iv. Martha J Whitehair, born 1865. She married David Matheny; born
January 08, 1861.

More About Martha J Whitehair:
Residence: 1870, Taylor County "poorhouse"