WORTHINGTON-L Archives

Archiver > WORTHINGTON > 2001-04 > 0986697300

From: Trish Worthington Cobb <>
Subject: Daugherty
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 22:35:00 -0400

In early Craven County, North Carolina, there was some intermarriage of a
DAUGHERTY family with some of the descendants of Solomon WITHERINGTON who
migrated to NC from Calvert County, Maryland.

Since families tended to migrate in clusters, perhaps there is a common link
somewhere up the lines. Take a look at some of the other surnames connected
with this WITHERINGTON family to see if there are other surnames in common.

Information copied below is from

Trish Worthington Cobb

> Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 20:35:40 -0500
> From: Barry Wetherington <>
> Subject: [Witherington] Mail from catherine: Hi cousins!
>
> . . . Here are 3 Trees FYI. I
> can tell you that there are always spelling variations - My GG Gf's surname
> was
> changed by the 1840 Fed census taker from Peter Witherington to Wetherington
> (which
> it remains), perhaps an invisible dot above an 'i' in With... . There is also
> history of Worthingtons in 'our' line (now your line), and I'm copying Trish
> Worthington, a longtime member of our List, FYI.
> I can tell you that I attended the Soloman Wetherington b1761 reunion in Sep
> 2000, and went to Soloman Wetherington's Grave. There were approx 100 Sol
> descendants
> at the Reunion. They all accept Wetherington as the proper spelling, and that
> is what
> is on his gravestone, which you no doubt saw in the photos I posted at the
> Wrington
> Ancestors site. My selection of the name Wrington now seems prescient, since
> you can
> still remain as a member (:-o). While you can retain the spelling of your
> surname,
> and those of your parents, and perhaps (but only perhaps) your grandparents,
> we'll
> probably have to allow other forces to impose the imprimatur of spelling upon
> the
> chain above a GParent.
> Can you fill in any blanks from Thomas down?
> Barry
> _________________
> 1 Soloman Wetherington 1761 - 1840
(This Soloman is not the original Soloman who migrated from
Maryland, but definitely a descendant of original Soloman;
prob. a grandson.)
> +Mary Moore 1766 - 1822
> 2 Sarah Witherington 1783 -
> +Alexander Taylor
> 2 Jesse Witherington 1785 -
> +Lydia W Davis
> 2 Hannah Wetherington 1787 -
> +Woolard
> 2 Mary Wetherington 1788 -
> +Hardy Smith
> 2 Jeremiah Wetherington 1789 -
> +Nancy Davis
> 2 Richard Wetherington 1790 -
> +Nancy Carroll
> 2 Lovicy Wetherington 1793 -
> 2 William Wetherington 1795 -
> +Elizabeth Moore
> 2 Anna Wetherington 1797 -
> +John Taylor
> 2 Thomas Wetherington 1798 -
> +Susanna Davis
> 2 John C Wetherington 1800 -
> +Narcissa Shute
> 2 Joseph Wetherington 1802 -
> +Mary Folks
> 2 Solomon Wetherington 1804 - 1880
> +Rachel Mathews 1798 - 1853
> 3 John Herring Wetherington 1833 - 1910
> +Siddie Daugherty 1844 - 1908
> 4 Mary E Wetherington 1866 - 1914
> +Joseph Ambrose Ringgold 1866 - 1950
> 4 Richard Wetherington 1868 - 1940
> +Etter Garner
> 4 John Edward Wetherington 1872 - 1952
> 4 Harvey Mason Wetherington 1874 - 1876
> 4 M Frank Wetherington 1877 -
> 4 Solomon Wetherington 1878 - 1881
> 4 Rachel Wetherington
> 4 Claude K Wetherington 1880 -
> 4 A A Wetherington
> 4 Debbie Ann Wetherington 1884 - 1960
> 3 Mary E Wetherington 1835 -
> +James Herriot
> 3 James L Wetherington 1837 - 1906
> 3 Holland Ann Wetherington 1840 - 1882
> +Unk Cummings
> *2nd Wife of Solomon Wetherington:
> +Harriet Avery 1818 - 1883
> 3 Henry C Wetherington 1858 - 1945
> 3 Nancy Caroline Wetherington 1855 - 1945
> +John Smith
> 3 Oliver Hayard Wetherington 1860 - 1919
> +Nannie Daugherty - 1945
> 3 Edward Duff Wetherington 1862 - 1945
> 2 James Wetherington 1805 -
> 2 Holland Wetherington 1806 -
> +Francis B Amyett
> 2 Susan Wetherington 1808 -
> +Hardy Outlaw
> 2 Nancy Wetherington 1810 - 1880
> +Lemuel Davis
> *2nd Wife of Soloman Wetherington:
> +Susan Davis
> 2 Silas Wetherington 1795 -
> 3 Susie A Witherington 1840 - 1909
> +Joshua Wright Smith 1840 - 1904
> 4 Geneva Mae 1881 - 1975
> +George Bryant Haddock Sr 1875 - 1946
> 2 Reuben Wetherington 1795 -
> __________________
> 1 Robert Widdrington (Witherington) 1665 - 1722
> +Elizabeth Dare 1684 -
(This Robert and Elizabeth lived in Calvert Co. MD.)
> 2 John Witherington 1703 -
(This John Witherington migrated to Craven County, North Carolina
by 1730, prob at the same time his brother Soloman migrated,
along with numerous other Maryland families.)
> +Rocksolannah Carruthers 1720 -
> 3 William Witherington, Sr 1740/41 - 1819
> +Elizabeth Lewis 1745 -
> 4 Peter Wetherington 1770 - 1852
> +Jane Emerson 1770 - 1823
> *2nd Wife of Peter Wetherington:
> +Esther Allen 1790 - 1870
> 4 William Witherington, Jr 1773 - 1837
> +Sarah Stanley
> 4 Lewis Witherington 1766 -
> 4 Laney Witherington 1769 -
> +Peter DuBose
> 3 Cleverly Witherington 1743 -
> +Menah
> 4 Unk Witherington 1770 -
> 4 Richard Witherington 1764 - 1824
> 4 Fictitious Seenotes Witherington 1790 -
> 3 Robert Witherington 1750 -
> +Esther
> 4 John W Witherington 1764 -
> 2 Solomon Witherington 1703 - 1766
(This Soloman Witherington migrated to Craven County, North Carolina
by 1730/1732, prob at the same time his brother John migrated,
along with numerous other Maryland families.)
> +Ann
> 3 Thomas Witherington 1730 - 1774
> +Unk Taylor
> 4 Thomas Witherington 1755 -
> 4 Joseph Witherington 1759 -
> +Nancy Pritchard
> 4 Sarah Witherington 1755 -
> +Abraham Taylor
> 4 Frederick Witherington 1755 -
> 4 William Witherington 1759 - 1844
> +Susannah Coward
> 4 Soloman Wetherington 1761 - 1840
> +Mary Moore 1766 - 1822
> *2nd Wife of Soloman Wetherington:
> +Susan Davis
> 4 James Witherington 1763 -
> 3 Thomas Who Witherington 1735 -
> +Elizabeth Taylor
> 4 Unk Witherington 1789 -
> *2nd Wife of Thomas Who Witherington:
> +Susannah Davis
> 3 Mary Witherington 1742 -
> +Ramsey
> 3 Elizabeth Witherington 1744 -
> 3 Robert Witherington, Sr 1746 - 1820
> +Ann
> 4 Hannah Witherington 1760 -
> +Moses Roundtree, Jr
> 4 Ambrose Witherington 1768 - 1824
> +Susannah Mills
> 4 Richard Witherington 1776 -
> 4 Abner Witherington 1778 -
> 4 Cassandra Witherington 1780 -
> +Thomas Abbot
> 4 William B Witherington 1804 -
> +Gatsey
> 2 Elizabeth Witherington 1700 -
> +Henry Easterling, Sr
> 3 Henry Easterling 1720 -
> 3 Allathera Easterling 1725 -
> 3 William Easterling
> 3 John Easterling
> 2 Mary Witherington 1705 -
> 2 Dorcas Witherington 1707 -
> [Jean's Sol]
> 1 Ambrose Witherington 1768 - 1824
> +Susanna(h) "Susan" Mills 1765 - 1848
*SAME AS > 4 Ambrose Witherington 1768 - 1824
AND +Susannah Mills LISTED ABOVE.

on 4/7/01 11:14 AM, David Reed at wrote:

> [...]

This thread: