WOOD-L Archives

Archiver > WOOD > 2003-11 > 1069954228

From: "Mary" <>
Subject: Re: [WOOD] Wood - Willie Hires & Susie
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 10:30:28 -0700

Hello Willie & Susie,

Although our research has only begun in Barnwell County South Carolina, I
can tell you that we located who we believe to be our ancestor, Peter Wood.
He is living next door to Mary Wood (Born 1770 in Germany) and a George
Wood. I was able to locate George in Barnwell County for 20 years after
wards. It is possible that your George Richard Wood b. 1852 in SC may
be the son of, or grandson of, this George Wood. Since we have only begun
our research in this area I can't say the two are connected without looking
at some records. Which we will be doing. At this time I don't have
information
available to show us what Peters' and George's middle names would be.
In the Deep South, alot of people were called their middle name rather than
their first and formal name.

Our Peter Wood in 1850 Paulding County Georgia Census shows:

#631-631
Peter Wood, 48, Farmer, SC
Elizabeth, 38, GA
Isabella, 17, GA
John, 15, GA
William, 14, GA
Joseph A. J., 12, GA
Delila Ann, 10, GA
Elijah, 8, GA
Mary M., 6, GA
Sarah F. 4, GA
James W., 1, GA

#632-632
John A. Wood, 25, Farmer, GA (We believe this should be SC)
Sarah E. (Renfro), 21, GA
David, 4, GA
Mary E., 2, GA (My GGrandmother)
John W., 1, GA
Joseph Hobbs 12/16, GA
(Note: Joseph Hobbs is probably the son of Elizabeths' brother or sister,
wife of Peter. Her maiden name is Hobbs, believed to be the daughter
of Joseph Hobbs and Margaret Summerland/Sutherland/Southerland of
Greene County Georgia.)

#633-633
Mary Wood, widow, 80, Jermany (Germany)

Since the early years census records don't show the names, this is the first
glimpse of all the names in 1850.

On the 1870 Lawrence County Alabama census shows us John A. Wood's
complete family........

#334 - 334

John A. Wood, 50, GA
Sarah E., 40, GA
David Wood, 23, GA
Mary E., 20, GA
John W., 19 AL
Jonathon Clark, 17, GA
Joanna, 13, GA
Peter, 11, GA
Messr (?) 9, GA
Laura J., 3, GA
Ella A., 1, GA

Our research at this point is to find the mother to John A. Woods, son of
Peter.
Peter and Elizabeth Hobbs were married in Georgia in 1831. By this time,
our John A. Wood had already been born in 1820. Some census records
show John to be born in 1825 and this 1850 show 1820. We do find Peter
Wood in Barnwell County with a son between 0-16 and possible wife. Did
she die? This is unknown and if there were other children of this marriage.
The
researchers in our Woods' family don't believe that Elizabeth Hobbs is the
mother to our John Adam Wood born, we believe, in South Carolina.

Since our research has only begun in South Carolina I don't have enough
information to give. I will be needing to find the marriage back in South
Carolina for Peter and try to locate who might be John Adam's mother.
Then I need to trace George. There are some researchers in this family
line who have a William Wood in the line above Peter and George. Possibly,
Peter's and George's father but since I have not located enough information
we cannot confirm this information.

Susie, we have similiar names to the ones you have posted. Certainly not
a confirming fact that our Wood line descends from Joseph, but enough
similiarities to follow the path you have given. I very much appreciate
the information from all our Wood researchers as it does help us to link
us to the past and find our roots.

Willie, I will certainly keep you in mind as we research Barnwell County
for our Wood families. There is certainly the error factor that the
information
I have found in Barnwell may not be our Peter, so through research we
hope to conclude this is our Wood family.

George Wood in Barnwell County South Carolina on the 1830 census
shows:

George Wood is between the ages of 20-30
wife, (?), 30-40
daughter, (?), 5-10
daughter, (?), 10-15

Mary Wood
2 males 0-5
1 male 5-10
2 males 10-15
2 female 0-5
1 female 15-20
2 females 20-30
1 female 40-50
1 female 70-80

Peter Wood

1 male 0-5
1 male 20-30
2 female 0-5
1 female 5-10
1 female 20-30
(Note: It was thought that the females belonged to the name above Peter
but looking at it I believe that the females may belong to Peter. We are
still trying to find documentation that this Peter is the same as the Peter
in Georgia.)

1820 Barnwell County Census..............

William Wood
1 male 0-10
1 male 10-16
1 male 16-18
0 male 16-26
0 male 26-45
1 male 45+

2 female 0-10
1 females 10-16
2 females 16-26
1 females 26-45 (U45)
0 female 45 +

George Wood

0 male 0-10
0 male 10-16
0 male 16-18
2 male 16-26
0 male 26-45 (U45)
1 male 45+

0 female 0-10
0 female 10-16
0 female 16-26
1 female 26-45 (U45)
0 female 45 +

Mary Wood

1 male 0-10
0 male 10-16
0 male 16-18
1 male 16-26
0 male 26-45 (U45)
0 male 45 +

1 female 0-10
1 female 10-16
0 female 16-26
1 female 26-45
01 female 45 +

Peter Wood is not listed on the 1820 Census. Neighbors surrounding the
other Wood families are John Brooning (?), Shadrack Raaford, Mark? A Youn,
Wm. Herrin and Tolover Martin.

A further note, living next door to Martin Bowling in Benton County Alabama
is a Robert McCaghren. Robert McCaghren married Sarah Thompson,
daughter of John Thompson and Jennie (Vann) Thompson. Jennie (Vann)
Thompson is the daughter of Chief of the Cherokee, Chief Vann. All
neighbors living around the Bowlings in Benton are of Cherokee descent;
including the Sizemore family that intermarried with our Bowlings families.
Robert McCaghren is known to have come from South Carolina as well.

I will be researching into South Carolina further to document Peter.
According
to the census record in Georgia, Peter would have been born in 1802. By
1820, it is possible that Peter was still living at home with his family.
Other
noted Woods in 1820 are:

Mary Wood, Abbeville District SC
Sarah Wood, Barnwell Co. SC
Mrs. Elizabeth Wood, Barnwell Co. SC
George Wood, Barnwell Co. SC
Mary Wood, Barnwell Co. SC
William Wood, Barnwell Co. SC
James Wood, Charleston SC (CN)
Joseph Wood, Charleston SC
Joseph Wood, Charleston SC
John Wood, Charleston SC
Amelia Wood, Charleston SC
William Wood, Charleston SC
Robert Wood, Charleston SC
John Wood, Charleston SC (SAP)
William Wood, Charleston SC

As you see, I do believe Peter was living with his father in 1820.

I apologize for the lengthiness of this post but hopefully we can help each
other.

Thanks again for all the help.

Mary