WITHEY-L Archives

Archiver > WITHEY > 2005-12 > 1135786628

Subject: Re: finding Ellen (Elinor) Cady Stafford Withey
Date: 28 Dec 2005 09:17:08 -0700

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/FlWBAEB/83.1.1

Message Board Post:

Hi Barbara,
WOW, you have a tremendous amount of informatiion. I can't begin t thank you enough!!!!!

I have been to the Alcona Co data base and have found some of the same newspaper articles, so I do have the date on the one that mentions the death of Samuel E. Stafford. It is possible the marriage might be in Saginaw co. Ellen was with her parents in the 1860 census in Washington, Van Buren Co, Iowa. By 1870 she was in Harrisville with Samuel and her parents Charles Lewis and Sarah Cady were also in Harrisville. So Ella's birh could be in Saginaw Co. I have the newspaper artiicles about the death of Samel and then their son John H Stafford and also the death from the Michigan deaths online and also the 1880 morality schedules for them both.

I also know about Albert McDonell or McDonald's first marriage to Josepha Gibson it was in the Alcona Co online site plus info about the divorce. They married 8 Nov1879 in Harrisville and their divorce appears on the circuit court docket for the Feb 1889 tern, as 4th class 14 Albert McDonald vs Josephia McDonald, divorce.

I knew that Joseph S.Withey was in the military from the 1890 veterans schedule and also found on ancestry.com or someplace that he served 1861-1881. I had no info about his service nor his death. One interesting thing I did find on the Alcona Co online site was this:
Search Result from Alcona County Articles Table:
Mo : 2
Dy : 23
Yr : 1893
Newspaper Date : 2/23/1893 12:00:00 AM
Volume : 16
Number : 47
Page : 1
Column : 2
Newspaper : Review
Description : Death of an infant child of Mrs. Ellen Withey.
Transcription : EVENTS OF ONE WEEK. An infant child belonging to Mrs. Ellen Withey of Black River, formerly of Harrisville, died last week and was buried in the South Harrisville cemetery Saturday.

Then this:
Search Result from Alcona County Articles Table:
Mo : 2
Dy : 23
Yr : 1893
Newspaper Date : 2/23/1893 12:00:00 AM
Volume : 16
Number : 47
Page : 4
Column : 4
Newspaper : Review
Description : Card of thanks from the Withey family.
Transcription : Card of Thanks. We wish to thank our friends and neighbors who so kindly assisted us in our recent bereavement. May God's richest blessing be their portion. Mrs. E. Withey and Family.

Ellen wouldhave been 46 then, so I guess it was possible that is her child with Joseph.

I found a friend over in Clinton township who grew up in Alpena and also her husband did too. I'm related to her husband through the Norwegian side and she and her husband went to Alpena for the Christmas Weekend, she is going to get me a lot of obituaries fromt here including Albert and Ella Stafford Mcdonell or McDonald as it is shown.

Barbara are your related to one of some of all of these families?????

Thanks so much for all of the information!!!!

Karen
Washtenaw Co.

Ella and Albert had daughter Lois my grandmother and she was born in Black River and I have her BC. Se moved to Alpena and married Oscar Olesen and that is where my mom is born she is one of 9 kids. Her and another sister and one brother are still alive. We are going to call my Uncle Gordie to see if he has some information on Albert. He is a history buff and may have some of the family info taken from the house when my mom's sister Joyce died a few years ago. What has been difficult about Albert is the name is McDonell and it keeps getting changed in records to McDonald. So I have had trouble tracing him at all.

My mom had some info in her address book about Alice Stafford and her husband Arthur Derby they had 9 kids and I have all of their birthdates.

This thread: