WITHEY-L Archives

Archiver > WITHEY > 2005-12 > 1135726959

Subject: finding Ellen (Elinor) Cady Stafford Withey
Date: 27 Dec 2005 16:42:39 -0700

Surnames: Cady, Stafford, Withey, McDonell (McDonald)
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/FlWBAEB/83

Message Board Post:

I’m trying to find somemissing information about my great great grandmother Ellen (Elinor) Cady Stafford Withey.

She was born :Ellen (Elinor) Mariah Cady born 1848in Pennsylvania
Her first husband was Samuel E. Stafford, their marriage date unknown.
They had 7 children. Their first child Ella (Sarah Ella Jane) Stafford was my great grandmother.

In the 1870 census Ellen and Samuel lived in Harrisville, Alcona Co, Michigan
Samuel E. Stafford died 17 Feb 1879 I Harrisville.

Ellen shows up in the 1880 census as head of household with her 5surviving children.
An infant son John and her husband Samuel appear on the 1880 Michigan morality schedule.

On 23 Jul 1882 in Harrisville,Alcona Co., Michigan Ellen Cady Stafford married Joseph S Withey. J
Joseph was born 1841 in Ontario,Canada. (per online marriage record in Alcona Co) Per ancestry.com
Joseph served in the U.S. Military 1861-1881. He shows up on the 1890 veterans schedule. I don’t
have a subscription so I can’t see the image.

Joseph does not appear on the 1870 census nor the 1880. How did the census track military people???

I can’t find Joseph on any further census.

I cannot find Ellen (Elinor) Cady Stafford Withey on the 1900 . She does appear on the 1910 census as Elinor E Withey living at
2-Wd Alpena, Alpena, Michigan I belive she was with my great grandparents Albert E. McDonell (McDonald) and his wife Ella (Sarah Ella Jane) .
Ellen does not appear on any other census,at least where I can find her.

Can anyone give me some clue to finding the missing info, in particular Ellen’s date of death and place of death.
Why can’t I find Ellen and Joseph in the 1900 census??

Thank you in advance

Karen Jenter
Michigan

This thread: