WITHEY-L Archives

Archiver > WITHEY > 2005-12 > 1133826055

Subject: Witheys in Sommersetshire
Date: 5 Dec 2005 16:40:55 -0700

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/FlWBAEB/82

Message Board Post:

I am a descendent of James and Jane Stitch Withey(s) who came to the United States from Sommersetshire England in 1842 with their children including sons William, George, Eli, and James, and daughters Caroline and Jane. The family settled in Springfield, IL and dropped the 's' from Witheys to Withey. James opened a carriage factory and George and Willian took over. In the Sangamon County history of the Withey Bros. is says that the Witheys' were clerks in the Church of England for four hundred years. Does anyone have any information about the Withey(s) family in Shepton Mallet or Stratton on the Fosse? I know there were remaining family members in England because there is mention of visiting them.

This thread: