WITHERINGTON-L Archives

Archiver > WITHERINGTON > 2005-05 > 1116608169

From: "Barry Wetherington" <>
Subject: Re: Dobbs Hodges Militia List w/W'tons
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 12:56:16 -0400

Hi All,

Francis has been at this much longer than most of us. Still, I do not get his Bangs assessment: ' I guess we have pretty much discredited the Bangs connection, since Sarah Jones and not Content Bangs now appears to have been John Carruthers' first wife and the mother of his children.' Not that I disagree - just dont know enough I guess. The Bangs contingent has remained out of the discussion.

His other assessment is an interesting observation: 'Yes--there are Hodges and Witheringtons in the same militia company. I suspect they were first cousins since their mothers, Rocksolannah and Frances Carruthers, would have been sisters.'

I'm copying Francis on this - maybe on his return, some of you more knowledgeable researchers can work w/Francis to put this into better context for the rest of us. There are so many irons in the fire, it's difficult to keep track.

=========================
BANGS, JONATHAN.
Craven County.
October 7, 1743. June 15, 1744. Wife: ABIAH. Daughter: BETTY BANGS. Sister:
THANKFULL COVELL. Executors: JOHN CARRUTHERS (uncle), ABIAH BANGS (wife).
Witnesses: FRANCIS BRINLEY, JNO. CARRUTHERS, JO. RD. HICKSON. Clerk of the
Court: W. ROUTLEDGE. Coat of arms on seal.
. . . .

BANGS, ABIAH, widow of JONATHAN. [nee Abiah Carruthers]
Craven County.
June 3, 1755. Cousin: ELIZABETH HOBBS ("my lot in Newbern Town"). Daughter:
BETTY BANGS. Sisters: ELIZABETH and MARY CARRUTHERS. Brothers: JOHN
CARRUTHERS, WILLIAM CARRUTHERS. Executors: WILLIAM CARRUTHERS (brother),
ROBERT JONES, "oturney at law." Witnesses: WILLIAM CREEKMORE, RUBIN
HAMMONTREE, WILLIAM CARRUTHERS, SR. No probate.

ABSTRACT OF NORTH CAROLINA WILLS COMPILED FROM ORIGINAL AND RECORDED WILLS IN THE OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY OF STATE
http://www.lib.ecu.edu/ncc/historyfiction/document/gra/entire.html

Barry