WITHERINGTON-L Archives

Archiver > WITHERINGTON > 2000-11 > 0975333018

Subject: Re: [Witherington] FTM Book Club 2 month membership Witherington
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:50:18 -0500

Thanks for the heads-up on the PA Martin Withington. I found a couple of
them in KY, too - a Martin Levi Sr and Jr. Some of the KY folks went to
MS, too- although neither Martin did. The timing is not good for the
movement of the KY people to MS, and I am not considering them very
strongly at the moment.

I would be interested in finding out where the Gabriel Witherington and
James Witherington who fought in the War of 1812 from MS came from.

Also, in reviewing my notes from the records that I have posted over the
past few days, it strikes me that none of us seems to have been paying any
real attention to the dates on the list of insolvents from Montgomery
County, GA - the list was inclusive of the period from 1799 to 1808, and
was filed by the Tax Collector on May 10, 1809. Obviously, William
Witherington appeared in Montgomery Co, GA as a land owning taxable before
1808.

This means that this William Witherington appears to have been in
Montgomery Co, GA at the same time that the other three William's were in
Darlington District, SC. Alternatively, since only two Williams appear in
Darlington, SC in 1810, one of the three from 1800 could easily have gone
to Montgomery Co, GA after 1800 but before 1808. If the tables that I
constructed survive the plain text formatting, the example below will show
that it was the youngest William from Darlington in 1800 that was gone by
1810.

Food for thought.

Jack

1800
Male/Female
William 1
William 2
William 3
0 - 10
1 / 2

1 / 1
10 - 16

1

16 - 26
1 / 1

26 - 45

1
1 / 1
45 +

1

Slaves
1
3
3
1810
Male/Female
William 1
William 2
William 3
0 - 10

3 / 1
10 - 16

1 / 2
16 - 26

1
26 - 45

1 / 1
45 +

1 / 1

Slaves

1

Jack Butler

"C & J Witherington" <>
11/27/00 07:54 AM

cc:

According to the description Witherington Bluffs should have been in Burke
Co which was formed from St George Parrish created in 1758. In 1744 the
area would have been the Creek Cession of 1733.

Jack
I found a Martin Withington, Esq in Northumberland Co., PA Page #: 186
Year:
1790.

Jean

From Sunny Florida