WIRICHLA-L Archives

Archiver > WIRICHLA > 2007-05 > 1179958820

From: "Barbara Lance" <>
Subject: Re: [WIRICHLA] Civil War medal
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 15:20:20 -0700

Thanks to all of you who responded to my query. Based on your e-mails, I
did google GAR, and found medals very similar to the one I had asked about.
The photo I have is of my great-grandfather, Judson Albert Cook, of Richland
County Wisconsin. It was taken when he was well-past his army years, and he
is wearing a suit with a bow tie, in other words, civilian clothes. The
medals I found on-line had the same upside-down star shape, but they varied
in the ribbon and pin portion.

I did find out that he participated in Civil War reenactments, as well.

I'm guessing this was some sort of participation medal. The fun part is, in
my searching I discovered pictures of GAR buttons. I have a set of 4 of
those buttons, and never had any idea what they were. One mystery solved!!

Thanks again for your help. I'm going to check around the (large) family
and see if anyone has the medal.

Barbara