WINN-L Archives

Archiver > WINN > 1999-08 > 0933938656

From: "Michael Amer or Anne" <>
Subject: [WINN-L] Connor 1(a)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 23:24:16 +1200

Michael G Amer
MARQUIST Amor De Soria

(1)a
Will of Philemon Connor of St Mark's Ph. Dated 24 Jan 1774 pro Feb 1774

Wife Rachel, Children all minors Mary, John, Elizabeth, Philemon &

child my wife now goes with. Exors Bro John Conner, friends William

Cave & John Craig Witt: Nicholas Arnold, Margaret Arnold, John Butler

Culpepper 28 Dec 1780 John Connor appt gdn for the

children of his brother Philemon Connor. He made final settlement to

the court.

Orange Co Va Aug 1779. John Connor appointed gdn to

Mary, John, Eliza, Philemon & Charles Connor orphs of Philemon Connor

Children:

iMary Connor b. after 1763,

Orange/Culpepper Co Va, m. 27 May 1784, in Orange Co., Va., Jonathan

Hiatt. Mary died ? Ky, dau of Philemon.

Jonathan: Orange Co Mgs 27 May 1784.

Jonathan Hiett & Mary Connor dau of Rachel Connor Sur: Lewis Connor

Wit: John Connor both of St. Thomas Ph. In Ky a Jonathan Hiatt in

Jessamine Co 11201 32000 He died 1814 Jess. Another in Mason Co in 1810

iiJohn Connor b. bef 1765,

Orange/Culpepper Co Va, birth date questionable, m. 7 Feb 1785, in

Orange Co., Va., Mary Lancaster. John son of Philemon. Orange Co Mgs:

7 Feb 1785. John Connor - Mary Lancaster, dau of Mary who con. Sur

Robert Lancaster, Jr Wit Uriah Proctor & John Lancaster

18.iiiPhilemon Connor, Jr b. 16 Sept 1771.

ivElizabeth Connor m. Reuben Lancaster.

vCharles Connor b. 1774, Culpepper Co.,

Va., post son of Philemon. (Charles apparently dy)

9.Lewis Connor b. Nov 1746, Minister, m. Susan Mallory, b. Prob.

Orange Co., Va, d. bef 1816, Culpepper Co., Va. Lewis died 6 Jan 1832,

Madison Co., Va, buried: (or 9 Feb 1832), was in ARW. There was a

memory written by his grandson, William Connor, available in the 1940's

& part quoted by Lula Price O'Connor in The O'Connor/Connor & Simmons

Family printed 1941 Southern Pines NC

Children: NOT COMPLETE

19.iJohn Connor b. 1770.

20.iiUriel Mallory Connor.

21.iiiSally M Connor b. 24 Mar 1773.

22.ivMildred Connor b. 24 Feb 1776.

10.James Winn b. 1730's, m. 03 Mar 1767, Hannah Withers. James

died lived in Louisville, Ky.

Children:

iHannah Winn m. Lewis Robards.

Lewis Robards: His first wife was Rachel

Donelson (whose divorce from Lewis) and her marriage to President Andrew

Jackson was a scandel that "rocked the nation" Children of Lewis &

Hannah (Winn) Robards state their parents were kind & loving

11.William Connor,Jr b. 1748/54, Caroline Co., Va., m. 1760's, in

Caroline Co., Va., Mary Durrett, b. Spotsylvania Co., Va., (daughter of

Richard Durrett and Sarah Marshall) d. aft 1816, living 1816 Caroline

Co., Va. William died after 1810, Caroline Co., Va. Mary Durrett

Connor: Wit the Will of Mrs. Sarah (Woolfolk) Connor/Durrett in 1816

Children:

23.iFrancis Connor b. 1776-1784.

iiGeorge Connor b. Caroline Co.,Va near

Guinea Station, d. 1813/1844, Caroline Co., Va., His will dated 26 Sept

1813. Will of George Connor (ARB has photo copy ordered from Va State

Library) Written 26 Sept 1813 Caroline Co., Va Probated 13 Aug 1844.

I George Connor of Caroline Co., Va..

I give to my sister ELIZABETH CONNOR my land during her life & to her

heirs provided she has heirs, but in case she has no heirs then it is my

will that the land be given my SISTER JOHNSTON'S eldest son

ADISON....JOHNSTON to him & his heirs. IT is my will that my slaves

Aaron, George, Lindy, Fanny, Jacob, Sam & Lotty be emancipated & given

250 dollars for purpose of conveying them to the state of Penn. The 250

dollars is to be raised out of the sale of my estate/ I give my riding

horse to RICHARD JOHNSTON. I give my sorrel horse to Thos Motley It

iis my will that my estate be sold, debts paid & balance, if any, be

given to my sister PATSY JOHNSTON & then to her heirs. I appoint Thos

Motley & George Conway my exors. Teste: Thomas Motley & Geo Conway

George Connor

Written on the outside: Geo Connors Will

13 Aug 1844 presented to the court &

filed for proof. Rice W. Schooler appd curator. Bond in admrs bond book.

14 Oct 1844 Court refuse to admit will

to record.

SEE minutes & write proof as there

written

Notes made Oct 1993 by ARB:The

Va Library has some Caroline Co., Va wills which apparently survived and

probably came from Chancery suits. At this time I know nothing more than

this will. There is a 34 year span from the date of this will & when it

was entered.

At this time Dr. William George

Connor of Harrodsburg Ky. upon purchasing some land testified that he

had been notified by the exors of his uncle in Va that he would be

receiving several hundred dollars from his uncle's estate.

I have no data on Patsy

Johnston, her son Adison Johnston, or the Richard Johnston (relationship

to Patsy unknown) or his sister Elizabeth Connor.

See Yates family notes: Michael

Yates had land adj Wm Connor, Jr. In 1816 Wm Yates, son of Michael, sold

39a to George Connor.

iiiWilliam Connor b. 1766-1784, Caroline

Co.,Va near Guinea Station, ref: 1810 census.

ivRichard Durrett Connor d. aft 1823, then

living Caroline Co., Va.

vElizabeth Connor b. Caroline Co.,Va near

Guinea Station, d. after 1814, mentioned in George's Will, not married

1814.

24.viPatsy Connor.

12.Francis Connor b. 1748/54, Caroline Co., Va., m. bef 1777, in

Caroline Co., Va., Sarah Woolfolk, (daughter of John Woolfolk and Sarah

Thilman) d. 1816, Caroline Co., Va. Francis died 1783/90, Caroline Co.,

Va.

Sarah: Caroline Co., Va Will Bk 19 pg 193 29 Apr 1815 dated

Probated 1815 I Sarah Durrett of Caroline Co I give my son PAUL

CONNOR furniture & 1 still. He is to pay my daughter

Abigail Durrett 20 dollars. I give to my daughter Abigail

Durrett furniture, china, silver I give to my two granddaughters Lucinda

K Terrell & Elizabeth A Terrell, furn iture All of the rest of the

furniture to my son Paul Connor & dau Abigail. My stock to be sold and

the money divided between Paul & Abigail. Paul Connor my exor. Witt: Geo

Winn, Henry Hodges, Mary D. Connor Sarah Durrett

Children:

iPaul Connor b. bef 1778, m. 1802/9, in

Caroline Co., Va., Judith Durrett, (daughter of William Durrett and

Abigail Terrell) d. aft 1809, Va. Paul died aft 1840, Va.

25.iiLucy Connor.

13.Frances Connor b. cir 1755, Caroline Co., Va., m. aft 1771, in

prob. Caroline Co., Va, Richard Coleman, Jr, d. Apr1792/Dec 93,

Spotsylvania Co., Va. Frances died bef 1793, Spotsylvania Co., Va.

Children:

iFrances Coleman m. James Johnston, He

could be John Johnston. Frances bef 1815, moved to Tenn.

iiRichard Coleman d. bef 1815.

iiiThomas Wooten Coleman b. aft 1771, m. 14

June 1814, in Amherst Co., Va, Mary B. Morrison. Thomas bef 1824,

moved to Ky.

ivRice Coleman b. aft 1771.

14.Anne Connor b. cir 1757, Caroline Co., Va., m. cir 1783, in

Caroline Co., Va., Marshall Durrett, b. cir 1760, Spotsylvania Co., Va.,

(son of Richard Durrett and Sarah Marshall) d. 1834, Albermarle Co.,

Va., moved to Albermarle Co 1783. Anne died 1790/1800, Albermarle Co.,

Va.

Children:

iRichard Durrett b. 3 Dec 1785,

Albermarle Co., Va, d. 11 Feb 1863, Missouri.

iiSarah Durrett b. Albermarle Co., Va, d.

moved to Ky then to Saline Co., Mo.

iii Rice Williams Durrett b. 4 June 1790,

Albermarle Co., Va, m. ____ w/o R.W. Durrett. Rice died 1837, Macon

Ga.

15.Margaret Connor b. cir 1758, Caroline Co., Va., m. in Caroline

Co., Va., James Durrett, b. 20 Apr 1762, Spotsylvania Co., Va., (son of

Richard Durrett and Sarah Marshall) d. 20 Jan 1822, Albermarle Co. Va.,

buried: Blue Ridge Farm, Afton, Va. Margaret died cir 1796, Albermarle

Co., Va.

James: James m 2nd Eliza Lindsay (3 ch) 3rd 18 Nov 1804 in

Amherst Co., Va Nancy Diggs (5 children). James lived at "Alton Park" in

Albermarle Co near the Augusta Co., Va line

Children:

iFrances Durrett d. Missouri, M 11 Oct

1808, Albermarle; David Richardson.

16.George Connor b. 29 Jan 1759, Caroline Co., Va., ref:

gravestone, m. 1780's, in Caroline Co., Va., Anne Woolfolk, b. 1 Oct

1762, Caroline Co., Va., (daughter of John Woolfolk and Sarah Thilman)

ref: gravestone, d. 21 Sept 1825, Abbeville S.C. (now Greenwood),

buried: Tabernacle Cem. George died 26 Oct 1827, Abbeville S.C. (now

Greenwood), buried: Tabernacle Cem., religion: Methodist. Greenwood

Co Sketches by Margaret Watson. The Herndon & Connor Families pub by

Rita Jones Elliott in 1961

George Connor & familoy were leaders in the Tabernacle &

Cokesbury communities for several generations but none of his direct

male descendants remain today. George & his wife Anna Woolfolk Connor

came from Caroline Co., Va. aft the ARW & bef 1790 to settle southeast

of present Cokesbury, SC. He is listed on the 1790 census, along with

John Connor (brother). George Connor is mentioned several times in the

journals of Bishop Francis Asbury as being host to the bishop on his

travels in this section in 1800. Connor was a trustee of th TAbernacle

Academy & he was "the rich & religious" with whom Stephen Olin boarded

when he came in 1820 to teach that school

Their son, Dr. Francis Connor's gravestone says he was born in

Caroline Co Va

Children:

26.iFrancis Connor b. 25 Sept 1785.

iiSarah Thilman Connor b. 14 Aug 1788, m.

Stephen Herndon. Sarah died 1825, Greenwood SC.

27.iiiGeorge Connor, Jr b. aft 1790.

ivBelinda W. Connor b. 11 July 1791, South

Carolina, m. aft 1825, in SC, Stephen Herndon. Belinda died 1846,

Greenwood, SC.

vJohn Wesley Connor b. 17 Apr 1800, SC,

Physician, m. 1825, in Cokesburg, Henrietta Mayson, d. Cave Spring Ga,

had 14 children/6 dy. John died 1857, Cave Spring, Ga, early 1850'sto

Ga.

28.viPaul Woolfolk Connor b. 1802.

viiAnna Woolfolk Connor b. 13 Dec 1805, SC,

m. 1826, in Cokesbury, SC, Gabriel Evans Treutlen, b. 1804, Orangeburg

Co SC, d. 1845, Glennville, Ala, grandson of 1st Gov of SC John

Treutlen. Anna died 1852, In 1840 moved to Glennville, Ala.

17.Frances Ballenger b. cir 1755, Culpepper Co., Va., m. 1772, in

Va, Henry Machen, b. 1745, Pr. Wm Co Va, d. 1821, Greenville, SC,

ARW/served from SC. Frances died 1826, Greenville Co., SC.

Henry: Data from Mary Beth Lightfoot (see under Sarah Connor

Ballenger).

Children:

iJames Machen b. 21 Sept 1773, Va, d.

1846, Cherokee, Ala.

iiElizabeth Macon.

iiiMargaret Ballenger Machen.

ivHannah Wood Machen.

vFrancis Ballenger Machen.

viSarah Ballenger Macon.

viiNancy Kelly Machen b. 1798, SC.

Fourth Generation

18.Philemon Connor, Jr b. 16 Sept 1771, Culpepper Co., Va, m. 8 Jan

1801, in Harrodsburg, Mercer Co., Ky., Above is Bible Record/no mg bond

exists, Sarah McLonie, b. 11 Mar 1782, d. 1 Sept 1861, Adair Co, Mo,

buried: Collett Cem. west of Kirksville. Philemon died 6 Mar 1827,

Shelby Co., Ky?, buried: On Shelby Co 1820 Census, son of Philemon.

Sent to ARB from Janie Yancy. Copied from A Book written in the 1930's

by a J. Newton Cross of Tulsa, Okla. On the Cross/Gentry/Cain/Blythe

families. The section of the Connors was written by Sarah McLonie

Conner. She was the dau of David Lewis Connor& Ann Elizabeth Connor.

Sarah was the granddaughter Washington Conner. Has bible records from

which I have drawn the dates on the chart of Philemon & his family.

However, Sarah has a strong tradition

859645636.83408-1 Sat Mar 29 14:27:16 1997

by cgm.searnet.com (8.7.5/8.6.12) with SMTP id JAA01823 for
<>; Sat, 29 Mar 1997 09:27:42 -0500