WEBB-L Archives

Archiver > WEBB > 1998-09 > 0904931959

From: <>
Subject: [WEBB-L] WEBB, Jonas Sr. and MILLS, Anne
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 17:59:19 +0000

My contribution to the research on Jonas Webb Sr.:

The following information is what I have directly related to Jonas Sr.
and Anne Mills. (I do have more info on other generations both
ancestral and descendant). The information following the family
grouping is information I've made notes on as to where information was
obtained and contains some clues for further research when I get that
far back. I'm still going through the remaining items in the box of
material my mother gave to me so it is possible that I might have more
information on this family still to come. Hope this helps.

BTW, would someone let me know if this makes it to the group. I'm
having difficulties posting to certain groups.

Jonas Webb, Sr.
b. abt 1700 in Northhampton Co., VA
m. 1728 in Sussex Co., DE
d. Aft. July 19, 1748 in Sussex Co., DE, Cedar Creek Hundred
Father: John Webb, Jr.

Spouse: Anne Mills
b. abt. 1702
d. Aft. 1758
Father: Edward Mills
Mother: Agnes Moore

Children:

1. Benjamin Webb
b. 1729 in Sussex Co., DE
Spouse: Maddalene (Unknown)

2. John Webb
b. Abt 1731 in Sussex Co., DE
d. 1789 in Sussex Co., DE
Spouse: Alice (Unknown)

3. Littleton Webb
b. 1733 in Sussex Co., DE

4. Jonas Webb, Jr.
b. abt 1725 in Sussex Co., DE
m. abt 1754 in Sussex Co., DE
d. Abt. 1782 in Harrison Co. or Monongalia Co., VA (WVA)
Spouses: Elizabeth (possibly a Moore) and Elizabeth Nutter

NOTES on Jonas Sr.:
It was only by accident that I discovered that Jonas Webb of Sussex
Co., DE, was from Northampton Co., VA., originally. I found the
following in County Court Notebook, Oct. 1921, p. 2--Hannah Webb
chose Philip Jacob for her guardian, Northampton Co., VA, 12 Sept.
1721. Hannah Webb, orphan of John Webb; inventory of her estate
(inventory included pistols, holders, and carbine). Dixon Knight,
guardian. Northampton Co., VA, Vol. XXVI, p. 157, 10 Sept. 1728.
Jonas Webb receipts to Knight for whole estate of sister, Hannah
Webb, deceased. Northampton Co., VA., Vol. XXVI, p. 228, 14 Apr.
1730 (Taken from August 14, 1984 letter from Marilyn Schuelzky to
Marian Jane Cameron-Jensen).

Jonas Webb, Sr. was the son of John Webb, Jr. (who died ca 1721 in
Northampton Co., VA). Jonas Webb, Sr. married Ann Mills, the daughter
of Edward and Agnes (Moore) Mills. Jonas died after Jul 19, 1748 in
Sussex Co., DE. Jonas' will can be found in Vol. A106, p. 65, Dover,
DE. (Don Norman files)

Jonas Webb, prob. born 1690/1700, d. after 19 July 1748, Cedar Creek
Hundred, Sussex Co., DE, m. Ann Mills ca 1720, or before... Comfort
Johnson, wife of Samuel Johnson, and Elizabeth Only or Olney were
probably relatives of the Webbs or Mills. Most of the above are
pretty much guesses, but thought you might wish to add these dates,
etc. to the material I have already sent you. There was a Thomas
Moore in Rockingham Co., VA, who was the second husband of Phebe
(Harrison) Davisson, according to "Settlers by the Long Grey Trail." I
suspect that this Thomas Moore was a brother of Mrs. Jonas Webb, Jr.
but I have not proof. Davissons and Moores came to Harrison Co.,
along with Webbs, and our Thomas Webb could have been named for Thomas
Moore. There are Webbs in Rockingham Co. or that portion of Augusta
Co. which became Rockingham, and there are marriages there for a
Benjamin and a Sarah Webb in the 1790's, leading me to believe that
Jonas Webb, Jr. settled there after leaving Sussex Co., DE, but before
moving to Harrison Co. I think the Benjmin and Sarah Webb who married
there must have been related somehow to our Webb family. It is very
hard to find material from Rockingham Co.; at least there is little in
our library. Thomas Webb seemed to be mixed up with the Davissons. A
Hezekiah Davisson was a partner in his mill, a Davisson witnessed his
will (in fact, Two Davissons were witnesses), an L. E. Davison,
attorney, was joint executor with Sarah Webb and Thomas Webb, Jr., and
a David Davison was one of those appraising his estate. And two of
Thomas' children married Davissons, so there was a closeness between
these families. (Letter from Marilyn Schuelzky to Marian Jane
Cameron-Jensen, July 2, 1985)

Jonas Webb Sr. was born in 1700. He signed a will on 19 Jul 1748 in
Vol. A106, p.65., Dover, DE. He died 7-19-1748 (after this date) in
Sussex County, DE. He was married to Ann Mills (daughter of Edward
Mills and Agnes Moore). Ann Mills was born in 1702. Jonas Webb Sr.
and Ann Mills had the following children: Jonas Webb, Jr; Benjamin
Webb was born in 1726. Information from Bob Rinehard only; John Webb
was born in 1726. Information from Bob Rinehart only; Littleton Webb
was born in 1726. Information only from Bob Rinehart,
Information, "Descendants of Sir Henry Webb", received from
Richard Webb to Cathy Bryan by e-mail on 08/18/98.

NOTES on Anne:
Ann, widow of the Jonas who d. 1748/49, was a Mills, daughter of
Edward Mills, whose will was probated in Sussex Co., Del., 14 Oct.
1751. He devised to sons Bowman, Nathan, Littleton, and Luke;
daughters Susannah, Agnes Mills, and Ann Webb. Executor, son-in-law,
William Richards. Witnesses: Elizabeth Only (or Olney), and Comfort
Johnson (Taken from August 14, 1984 letter from Marilyn Schuelzky to
Marian Jane Cameron-Jensen). Name could have been Anne, Ann or
possibly Anna.
Caitlyn

http://www.netins.net/showcase/khaki
ICQ address: 2012076