WATT-L Archives

Archiver > WATT > 2010-08 > 1280687990

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [WATT] Watt family of Avondale (Strathaven), Lanarkshire,Scotland
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 18:39:50 -0000

Author: cwmarshall80
Surnames: Watt, Jory, Thomas, Jinkin, Stanton
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.watt/801.3.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

This thread caught my eye too. My James Watt was born about 1783 in Scotland, exactly where remains a mystery. When he married Honor Jory in 1809 in Devonport, Devon, England, he noted he was a woollen draper in the marriage registry. He was a merchant and seemed to have some ties with other merchants in the Plymouth area, including the Thomas family who had successful merchant business interests in both the Plymouth area (Devonport) as well as on Prince Edward Island in Canada. In fact, James' daughter, Margaret, married John T Thomas in 1840 in Devonport (son of Richard Thomas & Ann Moyse). Other family names (and merchant/shipping business associates in the Plymouth/Devonport area) were Jinkins/Jenkins and also Stanton, both seeming to tie in from James' marriage into the Jory family of Cornwall, rather than through his own Watt family.

I see the Avondale (Strathaven) area is not very far from Glasgow and/or even Greenock. We always heard family stories as kids that our Watt family was somehow related to James Watt, the famous Scottish inventor, who was born in Greenock. Unfortunately, I've never been able to confirm this since we have no parents names, siblings or anything else on our James Watt, b. abt 1783 in Scotland. The only clues we have are his children's names: James, Richard, Mary, Margaret, Isabella, James Richard, and Honor (named after her mother, who died as a result of this birth in 1822). The two oldest Watt boys died as toddlers so when my ancestor was born, he was named James Richard Watt so there was apparently a strong determination to keep these two names going in the Watt line. This makes me wonder if these are parents names for either James Sr's father or James mother's father. The name Margaret has been fairly prominent in our Watt decendency too but we don't know why. We feel!
it's highly likely that either Mary, Margaret or Isabella (born in that order) is probably James mother's name but we have no proof.

In any case, does any of this sound like it might somehow connect with your Watt line in the Avondale (Strathaven) area? We don't know what brought James Watt from Scotland to Devon but he was there by at least 1808/09 and was involved with the wool trade as a woollen draper and merchant. James was also an educated man, signing his own name on the marriage register (rather than just an X like was common back then). We've been stalled at this point in our Watt research for a very long time so any new clues are greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Important Note: