WASHBURN-SOUTHERN-L Archives

Archiver > WASHBURN-SOUTHERN > 2003-04 > 1050145299

Subject: Washburn DNA Projct
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 07:01:39 EDT

Dear Washburn Cousins:

The question of whether Gabriel Washburn (1752-1826) was descended from
the New England branch of the family started by John Washburn (1597-1670) and
his brother William Washburn (1601-1657) or was a Hessian soldier during the
American Revolution who changed his name to Washburn might be answered soon.
I have recently registered the Washburn, Washburne, and Washbourne family in
a surname DNA project at Family Tree DNA and have ordered the first two kits.
Hopefully, this will not only answer the Gabriel Washburn question but will
also be helpful to any of you with unlinked branches of our family or who
want more scientific proof concerning your family's heritage. The DNA
analysis will not only identify your Washburn relatives but will also
identify your other cousins who are part of other surname projects. The cost
to sign up is $99 plus $2 handling (if you sign up on your own it is $149).
If you are interested, please click here to read about your privacy
protection and what the service will offer to you:
<A HREF="http://www.familytreedna.com">DNA Family Tree</A>
http://www.familytreedna.com

If you are interested in joining the Washburn DNA Group, please click
here to order your kit:
<A HREF="http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.asp?code=B87827">DNA
Washburn Group</A>
http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.asp?code=B87827

Please note that the DNA technology is only useful when Washburn males
participate. The following is an e-mail I received from the President of
Family Tree DNA explaining how his analysis works:

<< Only males who's father was a male Washburn can participate. People who
are males who descend from a female Washburn can't participate because male
Washburn's don't give a Y chromosome to their female offspring.

Please pass this message on to our other Washburn relatives who are
interested in uncovering their roots!

Your cousin,
Mark Washburne
Author of A BIOGRAPHY OF ELIHU BENJAMIN WASHBURNE: ILLINOIS WHIG AND
REPUBLICAN CONGRESSMAN DURING THE RISE OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN and ILLINOIS
REPUBLICAN CONGRESSMAN DURING THE CIVIL WAR AND THE RISE OF ULYSSES S. GRANT.
These books are now available by calling the publisher toll-free at
1-888-795-4274 or on-line at the following locations:
<A HREF="http://www.xlibris.com/ABiographyofElihu.html">;
http://www.xlibris.com/ABiographyofElihu.html</A>;
<A HREF="https://www1.xlibris.com/bookstore/bookdisplay.asp?bookid=13835">
Xlibris.com Elihu Washburne Civil War</A>

This thread: