WARD-L Archives

Archiver > WARD > 1999-02 > 0918932222

From: "Alvis B. Clegg" <>
Subject: Early WARDS in NC -Take 2 of 2
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 13:57:02 -0500

My search is my wife's direct DOUGLAS line, mostly in NC. I am
especially interested in the marriage, in 1761, of Elizabeth DOUGLAS
to John WARD. I believe Elizabeth may be the sister of my wife's
GGGgrandfather, James. He's a difficult guy to trace - nine years and
still ???. Positive identification of this John WARD would greatly
assist me in tracking this family. Confirming that he is the one found
in Moore Co., NC in the 1800 and 1810 censuses. In my pursuit of James
DOUGLAS, I have collected many pages of "snippets" relating to connected
families. I am pleased to share these with WARD researchers. I hope
that some WARD researcher can assist me! Are YOU the one who can help
? Follows take 2 of 2.

======================
19 Dec 1777. James DOUGLAS and wife, Dorcas, of Edgecombe Co., NC, to
John Williams of Halifax Co., NC, for £55, VA money, 150 acres adjoining
Smith, Davis, Bell and Robert Clark, which had been conveyed by two
deeds from James Smith, Sr. Wit. Joseph WARD and Lewis Pitts. (Nash Co.
DB-1-91)

1 Jul 1779. State of North Carolina to Adam Ramseur 50sh. for every 100
acres - 150 acres on Indian Creek - joins Daniel Smith, Job WARD claim
and land formerly claimed by Abraham Hood. J. Glasgow, Sec., Rd.
Caswell

18 Oct 1779. Chatham Co., NC, Deeds. p.374. For Divers causes and
considerations of my hereunto moving -- appointed my trusty friend
Thomas WARD, my true and lawful attorney for me and in my name to sign,
seal and excute one deed to James Kircy (King?) for part of a tract of
land on which he now lives -- on Overcup waters also to sign, seal and
execute one deed to Nathan Jones for the other part of said tract of
land for the quality expressed in my deed from the State of North
Carolina to be divided as per agreement to me the said Samuel WARD.
Wit: Isaiah Hogan Sign: Samuel WARD.

12 Dec 1779. Nuncupative will of Richard Smith, HalifaxCo., VA.
Everything I possess to be sold to pay debts except my negro wench Sall
who I give to my mother Sarah Smith during her life & at her death I
give the said wench Sal to my sister Sarah H. Smith. And one horse,
Tom, I give to my father & my one eyde mare I give to my brother James
Smith instead of of his horse. All monies that remain in hands of my
Exr. after paying debts I give to my mother Sarah Smith for her use.
Exr. Micajah Watkins. Certified as a true copy of verbal will by James
Turner & Mary WARD.

1780. Richard Smith, Halifax Co., VA. Accounts Current, names James
Smith, Sr., Doctr. Haynes, William WARD, James LeGrand. S/ William
Peters Martin, James LeGrand & Joseph Hopson

14 Oct 1782. Robert WARD of Halifax Co., NC to David Holloway of same,
£100, 133 acres which had been part of a patent to David WARD, Sr. 20
Apr 1745, and the other part had been acquired by sd David WARD 11 May
1756 and conveyed to his (word missing) John WARD and from John WARD to
his brother Robert WARD, on NS of Fishing Cr., joining Benjamin Rowell
(Powell). Signed, Robert WARD. Wit. Christopher Haynes, John Whitaker,
Joseph Carter. Feb Ct. 1783.

22 Jan 1785. Albridgton Jones of Wake Co. to James WARD of Halifax Co.,
NC for £212, 1/5 of undivided land which John Hardy, dec'd, had willed
to Elizabeth, Mary, Penelope, Tabitha, and Martha Hardy.

15 May 1785. David WARD and Mary his wife of Halifax Co., NC to William
Dancy of Edgecomb Co. £400, 275 acres on NS of Fishing Cr., joining Gum
Sw., James Wyatt, Arthur West, John Bradford, Jessie Wyatt, David WARD.
sign. David WARD, Mary WARD. Wit. William Batchelor, Jesse Wyatt. May
Ct. 1785.

Apr 1786. From NC census 0f 1784/1787 Samuel WARD listed in Cap.
Kenan's Dist. of Duplin Co., NC:
1 2 1 2 1.
Under Bertie Co.: Samuel WARD listed in Capt. Soloman Freeman's
Dist. "Samuel WARD gave in at Pasquotank". No Samuel WARD is
found listed in Pasquotank Co.

1800 census. Moore Co., NC. John WARD living near William Judd, James
Ballard, Henry Cox, Willis Oliver, Sr. & Jr., George Underwood, John
Sheppard, Sr., & Jr. (This area is in extreme NE Moore, by the Cape
Fear River. It was to this area that Archibald Gray DOUGLAS moved abt.
1814.)

1810 census, Moore Co., NC. Cape Fear Twsp., John WARD. [WARD was
living between John Baker and William Judd, and his neighbors were:
William Kelly, John Underwood, William Smith, Alexander Hunt, William &
John Campbell, Joseph Kelly, and Abner Harrington.]

Nov 1812. Estate of Fanny WARD names Nathan WARD, John WARD, Francis
WARD. Nash Co., NC.

1815. John L. WARD appears in the Moore Co., NC, agricultural census
tax listing as a land owner with 647 acres, valued at $1295.

4 Sep 1823. Will of John WARD, Edgecombe Co., NC, names wife and extrx.
Charlotte, son Joseph J. E. WARD (under age) son David E. WARD - all my
property in TN, Joseph J. E. WARD all my property in this state after
wife's death. Extr. and testementary Gdn. to my son Joseph J (?) E.
WARD, Louis D. Wilson, S. Whitaker. Bro. Dicken WARD, my exr. in state
of TN and Gdn to my son David C. WARD. Wit: Nancy Philips, John N.
Philips, Timothy M. Philips. Nov Ct 1823. Bk F. p.4.

9 Dec 1826. Will of Soloman WARD of Edgecombe Co., NC, names wife
Michael, sons Soloman and John WARD, all my land and Brandy still. Exr:
Moses Baker. Wit: W. G. Bulluck, Hilliary Peale. Feb Ct 1827. Bk F,
p.67.

3 Apr 1832. Will of Silas WARD of Edgecombe Co., NC, names wife and
Extx. Sally, and children (no names in abstract). Exr: Joab P. Pitt,
Wit: James Pitt. Aug Ct. 1832, Bk F, p.135.

21 Oct 1837. Will of Soloman WARD of Edgecombe Co., NC, names wife
Zilpha. Exr. Edwin Barnes. Exr dec'd, Adm granted James D. Barnes. Nov
Ct, 1843. Bk F, p.293.

16 Oct 1838. Will of Luke WARD, Edgecombe Co., NC, names wife, Nancy,
all farming utensils, gig, cart, livestock and land in E. Co for her
lifetime. Son and exr. Rippon, a tract of land in Pitt Co., son and
exr. Daniel, land in Pitt Co., son and exr., Harmon. Wit: Jos. John
Pippen, Wilson HoWARD, Jr. Probate: 1838.

26 Nov 1853. Will of Nancy WARD, Edgecombe Co., NC, names dau. Harriet
P. Laurence (Lawrence), w. of Joshua L. Laurence (Lawrence), lands in
Edgecombe and Martin Cos. adjoining lands of Gabriel Purvis, Jonn A.
Purvis, Lunsford Brown, Miss Nancy Mayo, about 800 acres gr. Chld. of
Harriet Laurence, all monies, bonds, notes and accounts. No exr. Wit:
William Norfleet, R. H. Austin.
END - Take 2 of 2.

Any info relating to the WARDS in Moore or Chatham Cos. in the early
1800's will be appreciated. Did these WARDS continue their migration,
and if so, where?

Alvis Clegg (a rootsweb supporter) Raleigh, NC

This thread: