WARBRIDES-L Archives

Archiver > WARBRIDES > 2004-10 > 1097160117

From: "Melynda Jarratt" <>
Subject: RE: [WarBrides] Did Anyone Know Joan Walker, Canadian War Bride, Author, AwardWinner?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 11:41:57 -0300

More info on "Pardon my Parka" from the web, it's called ""A city girl's
hilarious story of life in a Northern Quebec town. " - has anyone ever
heard of this book?

"Anyone can be a pioneer. All you need to do is to fall in love with a
Canadian major in the London blackout and find that he is every bit as
attractive when you get him into the light. I don't even suppose that he has
to be a major. Or that a London blackout is essential to the romance. That
is merely the way it happened to me. For me, it had to happen in London
because I am a Londoner born and bred-one of those city slickers who can
barely tell a cow from a sheep, and couldn't care less. Jim tried to tell me
that life in the Canadian mining town of Val d'Or was just the smallest bit
different from life in London, but I said, so what? Then I tried to explain
that I couldn't cook-couldn't even boil the proverbial egg-and the least
domesticated of women, and it was his turn to say, so what? I could read a
cook book, couldn't I? And he said he would rather marry a sense of humour
and starve, than marry some domesticated little body, madly interested in
the home, and suffer from mental indigestion. "

Melynda