WARBRIDES-L Archives

Archiver > WARBRIDES > 2004-10 > 1097159080

From: "Melynda Jarratt" <>
Subject: Did Anyone Know Joan Walker, Canadian War Bride, Author, Award Winner?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 11:24:40 -0300

Hi all Canadian War Brides. I received an inquiry this morning from Denis
Cloutier, a Quebec based writer, researcher who is seeking information on
Joan Walker, an English war bride who married James Rankin Walker and
settled in Quebec. Joan Walker was a writer who won the Stephen Leacock
Award for Humour in 1954 for her book "Pardon my Parka". Please read his
email below and if you know anything about Joan Walker, please write to him
at . For that matter, if you know anything about Joan
Walker I'd like to know about it too!

Melynda
www.canadianwarbrides.com
_______________

Hello,

I would like to find more information on Joan Walker a war bride who lived
in Val-d'Or (Northwestern Quebec) and wrote the following books:

Pardon my parka.
Toronto : McCleland & Stewart, 1954. 198 p., 21 cm.
2e ed. : London : A. Barker, 1954.
3e ed : Winnipeg : Harlequin Books, 1958. 192 p., 18 cm.
4e ed : Winnipeg : Harlequin Books, 1961.

Repent at leisure.
Toronto : Ryerson Presse, 1957. 284 p., 20 cm.

Marriage of harlequin : a biographical novel of the important years in the
life of Richard Brinsley Sheridan.
Toronto : McCleland & Stewart, 1962. 256 p., 21 cm.

In "Contemporary authors. First revision -- Detroit, Gale Research Co.
[c1967-1979] -- 44 v. 26-29 cm. -- ISSN: 0190-3616", we learn:

Born in London, England ; went to Canada, 1946, now Canadian citizen ;
daughter of Jean Etienne and Madeleine (Siebs) Sutter ; married James Rankin
Walker, September 20, 1946. Education: Attended schools in Brighton,
England, and London, England; cole des Beaux Arts, Geneva, Switzerland,
student for two years. Politics: Conservative. Religion: Anglican. Home: 124
Elgin St. West, Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Career : Harrods Advertising Agency, London, England, fashion artist, two
years; Amalgamated Press Ltd., London , England, sub-editor, three years;
Newnes-Pearson, London, England, assitant editor, three years; Sunday
Pictorial, London, England, feature writer during World War II; free-lance
writer in Canada, 1946- . Member: Canadian Women's Press Club, Canadian
Authors' Association. Awards, honors: Leacock Award for Humor for Pardon my
parka, 1954; Ryerson Fiction Award for Repent at leisure, 1957.

She is no more an Oshawa resident.

I am working on a repertoire of Abitibi-Tmiscamingue writers and would like
to find more information concerning Joan Walker in order to write a short
biography (in french, so please pardon my lousy english...).

And I hope you have a chance to read her books

Have a good day!

Denis Cloutier
1247, chemin du Parc
DESTOR (Quebec)
J9X 5A3
(819) 637-2152

MSN Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling
get-togethers.
Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.

This thread: