WALDEN-L Archives

Archiver > WALDEN > 1999-08 > 0933638626

From: "karlton douglas" <>
Subject: [WALDEN-L] Wallen/Walling geneology
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 20:03:46 -0400

This is trascribed from the book "A Wallen/Walling Genealogy" by Wilder &
Wilder. I don't have the book, I have photocopies relating to my family,
sent to me by a kind researcher who had access to the book. I was told it is
out of print.

Pg. 463
DESCENDANTS OF JAMES WALDING
MADISON COUNTY, KENTUCKY

James Walding left his will in Madison County, Kentucky. It was dated 8
February 1796 and probated 5 July 1796.
The following were heirs mentioned:
wife - Anne
son - Benjamin
daughter - Elizabeth Chisum
sons - James, Jesse, William
and "all my children"
executors: William Walding, Jno. Reed, and Joel Short.
(Julia Spencer Ardery, KENTUCKY COURT AND OTHER RECORDS Vol. II, p. 69)

James Walding (Walden, Walling) of Pittsylvania County, Virginia had
patented land in Tennessee in 1775 although no description of the land was
given. Others from Pittsylvania who patented land in Tennessee in 1775 were:
George Russell, Andrew Greer, Wm. Bean Jr., Benjamin Pyburn, Christopher
Shoate, James Walding (Walden, Walling) ; John Bean, Thomas Gresham, Richard
Bennette, Elijah Robertson, brother of James, and George Gray. (Samuel Cole
Williams, DAWN OF THE TENNESSEE VALLEY AND TENNESSEE HISTORY - Johnson City,
TN: The Watauga Press, 1937 - p. 435)

The marriage records of Lincoln County, Kentucky (p. 108) show: Elisha
Chisum and Elizabeth Walden - 30 January 1787.

The 1800 Tax List of Kentucky does not list any Wallen taxpayer in
Madison County; however, there is WILLIAM WALLIN, SR. who paid taxes in
Garrard County on 6 August 1800. (Garrard County was formed from Madison
County in 1796.) Perhaps, William Wallin, Sr. was the same person who had
been the administrator of his father's estate in 1796.

The Benjamin Walden family was enumerated in the Madison County,
Kentucky Census of - 1810. It is probably that the head of this household
was the son, Benjamin, mentioned in the will of James Walding.
1810 Census - Madison County, Kentucky (p. 241)
BENJAMIN WALDEN
3 M 00-10 1 F 00-10
1 M 10-16 2 F 10-16
1 M 45 & + 1 F 26-45

The Bible record of the Benjamin and Baalza Walden family was handed
down from one generation to another and, finaly, included in a family
history written by Matilda (Walden) Ausmus (1887-p1938).
"I wrote this for future generations," she said.
The manuscript is on file in the State Archives of Tennessee, Nashville.
The Bible record provides dates of birth for the children of Benjamin
and Baalza Walden as Follows:
WALDEN, Sarah b. 11 Jan 1793.
WALDEN, Elizabeth b. 7 jul 1794.
WALDEN, Dolly b. 20 nov 1796.
WALDEN, James b. 7 Jan 1788 [ 1798?}
WALDEN, Robert b. 13 Jan 1800.
WALDEN, Baalza b. 14 Jan 1802
WALDEN, William b. 9 Mar 1804
WALDEN, George b. Nov 1806
WALDEN, John b. Oct

In a note concerning this portion of the Bible record, Mrs. Ausmus
commented, 'There could have been more children; however, the record ends as
written above.'
From this Bible record, it is a simple matter to name the children
who were enumerated in the 1810 Census of Madison County, Kentucky;

3 M 00-10 [Robert, William, George}
1 M 10-16 [ James ]
1 F 00-10 [ Baalza]
2 F 10-16 [ Dolly, Elizabeth ]
1 F 16-26 [ Sarah]
1 F 26-45 [ Baalza, mother ]
End Transcription.

The book goes on to the 1820 Whitley County, Ky. census with the
Benjamin Walden family, and then to Campbell Co. Tn. where my ancestors
ended up.
Karlton

This thread: