VTRUTLAN-L Archives

Archiver > VTRUTLAN > 2008-04 > 1207325281

From: JEAN BUSHEY <>
Subject: Re: [VTRUT] Roy and Helen Potwine Jean's answer
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:08:01 -0700 (PDT)

Pam Warren <> wrote: I do not know anything for sure about Roy Potwine's family. I'm just hoping
to get lucky since he and Helen were in Rutland. Roy and Helen Potwine are
buried in Long Island Military cemetery, Farmingdale NY. Or did I already
say that?

My grandmother, Helen Lois Palmer, Roy's wife, was born 28 August 1891 in
Hoosick Falls, Rensselaer Co NY to Orlando W. Palmer and Libbie Winn. She
was a twin with several other siblings, and I have contact with descendents
of the Palmer family. Unfortunately, Helen didn't have much contact with
them, she was a black sheep of sorts, or perhaps just on a different wave
length from her family.

I appreciate your assistance, Please don't misunderstand me. If you have
found any records of any Potwines whatever, I'd appreciate the information
and sources.

Right now I have:
1. Burial index listing for the Military cemetery.
2. SSDI info for both Roy and Helen, and Helen's application proving she
was Helen Palmer, signed June 21, 1941 (or 1947) and she was residing at 91
Center St, Rutland, VT.
3. WW1 Draft card for Roy A. Potwine, Residing Brookline, VT, single.
4. WW2 draft registration, Roy Andrew Potwine, residing Newark, Essex NH,
name of person who will always know where you are, Annie Puffer, Newfane VT,
signed April 25, 1942, age 54.
5. City Directory, 1939, Bennington, VT, 205 North. Street.
6. City Directory, 1937, Bennington, VT, Potwine, Helen, Mrs. 629 Main;
Potwine Roy, VT soldiers home.
(this is significant because Helen and her 2nd husband resided in Bennington
in 1931 when he died.)
7. 1910 census of Southold, Suffolk, NY, soldiers quarters, Roy Potwine, 24,
private, born VT, father born VT, mother born MA
8. 1900 census, Brookline, Windham, VT, household of Fred L. or Frank
Potwine, 39, Jennie A, 40, Julia A., 16, Robert F., 15, Roy A., 12 and Annie
G, 1 (significant because of "Annie", mentioned on draft registration).

In 1910 Frank, Jennie, Annie and Hazel were still in Brookline on that
census

Also, on the 1880 census Frank Potwine, age 19, was a farm laborer residing
in the home of Hosea B. Crane, Brookline, Windham, VT. So Roy was probably
born in Windham CO, if this Frank is his father. All guess work right now.

So that's what I have at the moment.

Thanks,

Pamela A. Warren
www.warrenweb.info/grannypam