VT-FREEDMEN-L Archives

Archiver > VT-FREEDMEN > 2003-01 > 1042178201

Subject: [VT-FREEDMEN] MILLER APP # 33620 Vinnie Fields, Starr, Patterson, Deist, McPherson,
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:56:45 EST

Hi Everyone,

PLEASE NOTE ALL RESPONSES TO QUESTION ARE IN CAPS.

Below are the questions asked on the Miller Applications I have sent you info
on in the Freedmen Project work. I hope to get at least two a week submitted.
For those of you who cannot afford these NARA applications, I would advise
that after you confirm it is your line, that you send for the packet, for
source proof. Remember geneology is nothing without documentation.

Page 1)
Application # 33620
Action Taken- ADMIT
Name of applicant--VINNIE FIELDS
No. of children--7
Residence--PORUM, OK
Reason---- CLAIMANT WAS BORN IN 1878 AND CLAIMS HER INDIAN DECENT MAINLY
THROUGH HER FATHER, HER MOTHER BEING A CHEROKEE FREEDWOMAN.
CLAIMENT IS ENROLLED ON THE CHEROKEE FREEDMEN ROLL # 1715.
SHE STATES IN HER LETTER MARKED "A", THAT HER GRANDPARENTS WERE BILL AND
NANCY STARR, AND IN HER APPLICATION SHE GIVES SUSAN STARR AS ONE OF HER AUNTS.
SHE DOES NOT KNOW THE OTHERS.
HER PATERNAL GRANDPARENTS AND AUNT SUSAN ARE ENROLLED BY THE DRENNEN IN
1851,CAN.69.
CLAIMENT STATES HER FATHER WAS LIVING IN CANADIAN DISTRICT IN 1851, BUT IT IS
VERY PROBABLE THAT HE WAS NOT BORN UNTIL AFTER THAT DATE.

F.D.R.

Page 2)

SPECIAL COMMISSIONER of the COURT of CLAIMS,601 Ouray Building, Washington
D.C.
Sir,I hereby make application for such share as may be due me of the fund
appropriated by the ACT of CONGRESS, appoved June 30, 1906, in accordance
with the decrees of the COURT of CLAIMS of May 18,1905, and May28, 1906, in
favor of the eastern Cherokees. The evidence of identity is herewith
subjoined.Note: Answers to all questions should be short, but complete. If
you can not answer, so state.

Question # 1)State full name:
English name---VINNIE FIELDS
Indian name-

#2)Residence--PORUM
and Post Office--

#3)County--CHEROKEE NATION

#4)State--INDIAN TERRITORY

#5)How old are you?--29

#6)Where were you born? --JUNE 28,1878---BRIARTOWN,I.T.

#7)Are you married?--YES

#8)Name and age of wife or husband--THOMAS FIELDS

#9)To what tribe of Indians do he or she belong?--NONE

#10)Name all your children who were living on May 28, 1906, giving their ages.
WILLIE FIELDS AGE 13-------DOB JULY 31-18
NELLIE FIELDS AGE 11-------DOB MARCH......
EDWARD FIELDS AGE 9-----DOB APRIL 23,18
KELLER FIELDS AGE 7------DOB APRIL 3, 19
GREEN FIELDS AGE 5-------DOB JULY 17,19
OLLIE FIELDS AGE 3---------DOB APRIL..,19
IDA FIELDS AGE 1---------DOB MARCH 31,19

#11)Give names of your father and mother, and your mothers maiden name before
marriage.
Father- english name-WILLIAM STARR
Indian name-
Mother- english name-RHODA STARR nee PATTERSON
Indian name-
Maiden name-RHODA PATTERSON

#12)Where were they born?
Father- CANADIAN DIST.
Mother- CANADIAN DIST.

Page #3

#13)Where did they reside in 1851, if living at this time?
Father-CANADIAN DIST
Mother- CANADIAN DIST

#14)Date of death of your father and mother:
Father---DEC. 8,1897
Mother---LIVING

#15)Were they ever enrolled for money, annuities, land, or other benifits? If
so, state when and were.---YES, ENROLLED FOR STRIP PAYMENT.MOTHER ENROLLED
FOR LAND.

#16)Name all your brothers and sisters, giving ages, and residence if
possible.
JOHN STARR

#17)State English name and Indian names of your grandparents on both
father's side, and mother's side, if possible.
fathers side---WILLIE (BILLIE STARR)
mothers side---NANCY MCPHERSON ......

#18)Where were they born?---
NORTH CAROLINA--I THINK?

#19)Where did they reside in 1851, if living at that time?--
CANADIAN DIST

#20)Give names of all their children, and residence, if possible:
English Name:----WILLIAM STARR
Indian Name:---
Residence:----

English Name--SUSIE STARR--IS ALL I KNOW
Indian Name:--
Residence:---

English Name:-- VANCE J
Indian Name:--
Residence:---

Page 4
#21)Have you ever been enrolled for money, annuities, land, or other
benifits? If so, state when and were,and with what tribe of Indians.
ANSWER; STRIP MONEY, ANNUITIES, LAND, ETC.

#22)To assist in identification, claiment should give the full English and
Indian names, if possible, of their parents and grandparents back to
1835.-----DON'T REMEMBER

Remarks- Section)
Under this head the applicant may give any additional facts which will assist
in providing his
claim.------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Legal- Section )
I solemnly swear that the forgoing statements made by me are true to the best
of my knowledge and belief.

Signature- VINNIE STARR
Wittness's--
RIDER RATTER
W.G. INGRAM
Subscribed and sworn to before me this 8TH day,of AUGUST, 1907

Notary Public- signatureAffidavit)--R.L.PIERE

(The following affidavit must be sworn to by two or more witnesses, who are
well acquainted with the applicant.)

Personally appeared before me RIDER RATTERS and W.G.INGRAM, who being duly
sworn, on oath depose and say they are well acquainted with VINNIE STARR who
makes the foregoing application and statements, and have known HER for 20
years and 5 years, respectively, and know HER to be the identical person SHE
represents--HERSELF to be, and that the statements made by HER are true, to
the best of their knowledge and belief, and they have no interest whatever in
HER claim.

Witnesses to mark-

Signatures of witnesses-
RIDER RATTER
W.G.INGRAM

Subscribed and sworn to me, before me this 8TH day of AUGUST,1907

Notary signature-.R.L.PIERE
Notary commission expires-.NO DATE LISTED

NOTE: Affidavits should be made, whenever practicable, before a notary
public,or clerk of the court, if sworn to before an Indian agent or
disbursing agent of the Indian service, it need not be before a notary,
etc.--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------MY PERSONAL NOTE:Pages after
that include letters written to the BIA about their claim. Some have
additional papers, others do not.

ADDITIONAL LETTER INCLUDED:
PORUM,OK
MAY 23, 1908

TO; GUION MILLER, WASHINGTON D.C.

SIR,

IN ANSWERING TO YOUR REQUEST OF 4 MAY 19.., I WILL ANSWER AS FOLLOWS,
FATHER AND MOTHER ARE WILLIAM STARR AND RHODA STARR, nee- PATTERSON.
MY FATHER WAS CHEROKEE AND MY MOTHER WAS A FREEDMEN.

GRANDPARENTS ON FATHERS SIDE WAS NAMED; BILL STARR AND NANCY STARR.
ON MOTHERS SIDE MY GRANDPARENTS WERE WILLIAM PATTERSON AND GRACIE PATTERSON.

THEY CAME FROM GEORGIA, BUT THEY WERE HERE IN CHEROKEE NATION WEST, CANADIAN
DIST.
MY ROLL # WITH THE DAWES COMMISSION IS # 1715.

ON MY MOTHERS SIDE THERE WERE STARRS "please note that the name Starr is
crossed out" ALSO, BUT I CLAIM MY RIGHTS THROUGH STARR FAMILY.
SIGNED THIS THE 23RD OF MAY 19..

SIGNATURE--VINNIE FIELDS

WITNESSES- ELLIS WEST
JOHN MCCLURE