VAPWILLI-L Archives

Archiver > VAPWILLI > 2002-12 > 1041336032

From: "Bill Lathan" <>
Subject: Re: [VAPWILLI-L] Deaf and Dumb
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 07:00:40 -0500

I'm hard of hearing and know a number of totally deaf people. Sometimes
deafness is passed from parents to children genetically. This is not always
true. An example is a friend who is deaf and married a man who is deaf. He
was married to a speaking (the modern term even for me due to my ability to
hear with aids) woman and had three children by her. Two are deaf and one
is speaking. Even in the case of two deaf people having children one or
more children could be speaking but the likelihood would be reduced by BOTH
parents being deaf. Likewise, parents where one speaks and other is deaf
can produce children that are each deaf, each speaking or a mixture. Hope
this helps.