VAMONTGO-L Archives

Archiver > VAMONTGO > 1998-11 > 0911143221

From: Mary Lucado <>
Subject: Re: RADFORD
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 10:20:21 -0500

At 09:58 PM 11/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
>The _Hornbook of Virginia History_, by Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C.
>Campbell, Jr, 1994, Library of Virginia says:
>
>"Radford, in Montgomery County, was at different times known as Lovely
>Mount, English Ferry, Ingles's Ferry, Central Depot, and Central City. The
>town of Central City was established in 1885 and incorporated in 1887. Its
>name was changed to Radford in 1890 to honor John Blair Radford, a prominent
>local citizen, and it was incorporated as a city in 1892."

Speaking of Radford, does anyone know what newspaper covered Radford City
deaths in 1961 and 1962? I have searched the Roanoke Times and the
Montgomery News Messenger and have found either no or scant info on two
obits I am searching for. Was the Radford News Journal in publication back
then??

Thanks,
Mary

This thread: