VAIL-L Archives

Archiver > VAIL > 2004-04 > 1081806383

Subject: Isaac Carpenter Vail NY to Ohio
Date: 12 Apr 2004 15:46:23 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/AgTBAIB/483

Message Board Post:

I have been researching Isaac Carpenter Vail, who according to several census records, was born in Ohio. A family member has said that he was from Troy, NY although I have not been able to confirm this. Isaac married Clara Barbara Van Husen in Cleveland, Ohio. She was also from New York. Isaac was a judge on the police court sometime during the 1850's and was in the 103 OVI during the Civil War. He died abt 1863 and is buried at Lakewood Cemetery in Cleveland.

From the 1850 census for Brooklyn Township, Cleveland, Ohio:
Timothy Blatchley, age 39, born NY
Ann, age 46, born NY
Mary, age 13, born NY
Isaac Vail, age 21, Lawyer, born NY
Munford Gregory? age 8 mos. born Ohio

At Lakewood Cemetery:
1833 Capt. I. C. Vail
1863
Co. A, 103 OVI
Died at Danville, KY

Clara B. Van Husen
wife of I.C. Vail
1923

In the same plot:
1811 - 1863
Lorenzo Blatchley
Ann Vail Blatchley
1803 - 1887

1839 - 1862
Mary V. Blatchley
Frank Vail
1857 - 1857

From the 1860 census for the 4th Ward in Cleveland, Ohio:
Lorenzo Blatchley, age 49
Ann, age 50
Mary, age 21

Isaac and Clara had two children, Iza May and Harry Lorenzo Vail. I found them in the 1880 census:
Vail, Clara B. , age 39, born NY
Harry, L. S., age 22, son, born Ohio (born abt. 1858)
Iza M., age 18, daughter, born Ohio (born abt. 1862)
Silas Fowler, age 33, boarder, born Ohio

Iza's age leads me to believe that Isaac was around in the early 1860's but I have not found him in the 1860 census.

Because the family seemed to use meaningful middle names, I've been looking for Vail lines that may have been married to a Carpenter and came across one in particular that interested me. Isaac Vail (John 4) born in Somers, Westchester County, NY, married Elizabeth Carpenter, in Westchester County, NY. Of their children, there is an Isaac Vail Jr. listed, born 1798, married to Ann (Nancy) Thorne in Somers, Westchester County, NY. Isaac is said to have died in 1828. In the notes it states that Isaac Jr. was a merchant in Cleveland, Ohio.

I would like to know if anyone has more information on this Isaac Vail or Ann Thorne. From the cemetery records, and the census records, I was thinking that it might be possible that Ann Thorne could be the same person who was married to Lorenzo Blatchley who I found with my Isaac Vail in Cleveland. From the 1850 census, Isaac was born around 1829. Although his headstone shows 1833, this could be in error. This puts his birth in the right timeframe to have been a child of Isaac and Ann Thorne.

I would like to find some information that would prove or disprove this theory.
Thanks,
Pat

This thread: