VACUMBER-L Archives

Archiver > VACUMBER > 2010-08 > 1283049234

From: "JECOOKE88 EMAIL" <>
Subject: Re: [VACUMBER] Wright
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 22:33:56 -0400

I CAN say that Wright's Ord did become Raine's Tavern, or vice-versa (I think Wright was first).
I can also say that THAT John Cook(e) is my John Cooke of Green Creek.

Don't have it in front of me, but I believe that the Wrights bought Cooke-Cocke Mill on Green Creek. The Mill eventually became Simpson's Mill and operated until the 1940's.
Anderson Cocke & Stephen Cooke ran the mill until about 1800. Anderson Cocke was from the Brazure Cocke line; Stephen was a son of John Cooke of Green Creek.
Stephen Cooke, Jr, nephew of the above Stephen, received his uncle's moiety in the mill, presumably as a wedding gift, in 1805 (he mrd Mary Marshall Booker & moved to Tar Wallet/Guinea Creek area near Booker's "Woodside"). It was "junior" who sold his portion to Wright (again, notes not in front of me).

John Rain(e)s was a witness to the will of John Cooke and was married to Keziah Cocke, nee Anderson, widow of Thomas Cocke (son of Brazure) and mother of Anderson Cocke, above.

Jim Cooke, Administrator
FTDNA "Cook" DNA Surname Project
"Genealogy By Genetics: BREAK DOWN THE WALLS!"