VACULPEP-L Archives

Archiver > VACULPEP > 2008-08 > 1219193185

From: "Amanda E. Douglass" <>
Subject: [VACULPEP] Elizabeth Pollard? Could she possibly have been d/o AnnBall m. JAMES POLLARD?
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:46:25 -0400

Joseph Amiss m. Constance Jones
her father appears to be Gabriel Jones Jr. with wife Elizabeth

Joseph Amiss had son Gabriel Amiss m. Elizabeth POLLARD.
Gabriel Amiss and Elizabeth had daughter Dolly Amiss m. William Ferguson.
Elizabeth (Pollard ) Amiss remarried to Samuel Fox.

Chancery Record William Ferguson & wife vs. Samuel Fox & wife
p. 42 deposition of Matthew Keene Withers... about Dolly Amiss' treatment...
JAMES POLLARD father of said Fox's wife formerly widow of GABRIEL AMISS.
p. 51 has will of Gabriel Amiss and that's where the name Gabriel Jones and wife Elizabeth appears.

Francis Hackley was on the land deed of GABRIEL JONES JR. to JOSEPH AMISS. Other witnesses were JOHN GREEN and LAWRENCE SLAUGHTER.

Francis Hackley had brother JOHN HACKLEY m. JUDITH BALL, d/o SAMUEL BALL.
Lott Hackley brother of FRANCIS AND JOHN.
Lott Hackley m. JAEL REEDS, d/o SAMUEL READS.
Lott Hackley named MILDRED STIGLER in his wife and stated she was wife of
James Stigler. MIldred Reeds as sister of Jael Reeds.

Lott Hackley's sister in law was Judith Ball, d/o of Samuel Ball.
Samuel Ball had daughter Ann Ball who married JAMES POLLARD.

If Elizabeth Pollard was daughter of a JAMES POLLARD, could the Elizabeth Pollard who married Gabriel Amiss possibly have been a daughter of ANN BALL who married JAMES POLLARD?

Will of John Gray of Culpeper Co.
Dated 31 May 1785, Proven 15 Sept. 1788
Legatees: Wife. Sons: William Gray, GABRIEL Gray, John Gray a minor).
Daus: Mary Gray, Peggy Gray, Dorothy Gray. Mother (not named).
Executors: WILLIAM BALL
JOHN HACKLEY (He married Judith Ball, d/o of Samuel Ball.)

---------------Records provided by Charlene-------------

This was father of Jael Reeds who married Lott Hackley and Mildred Reeds who married 1st ? BROWN, 2nd JAMES STIGLER.
Samuel REEDS c 1689-c. 1750--Son of William. Samuel m Jael SHIPPEY-UNDERWOOD

King George County, Virginia Will Book A-1 1721- 1752 page 234
In the Name of God Amen. I Samuel REEDS of King George County being sick
and weak but of perfect sense and memory thanks to almighty God for the same,
hoping to have a joy full resurrection my desire is to be buried in a Christian
manner by my executors hereafter names, as touching my worldly estate that it
hath pleased Almighty God to Bless me with do leave as followeth, vix
Item: I give to my loving son Samuel Reeds my young horse called Spark and my
saddle and bridle.
Item My desire is such that my loving wife Gale (Jael) Reed is to keep all the rest
of my estate in her hands during her natural life, then to be equally divided
amongst my three children, Samuel Reeds, Gale Reeds, and Mildred Reeds, my desire is that my loving son in law William Underwood and my wife Jale
Executors of this my last will and Testament revoking all other wills by me made.
My desire is that my estate shall not be appraised. As witness my hand this 4th day
of November 1749.
Sam REEDS
Signed Sealed & Delivered

In the presence of
Josiah Farguson Joseph Hackley
Elias Powell Thomas Schooler
At a court held for King George County on Friday March 2, 1749 (1749-1750.
The Last Will and Testament of Samuel Reeds, deceased was presented in to court
by William Underwood, his Executor, who made oath thereto and the same was
proved by the oaths of Josiah Farguson and Elias Powell and admitted to record.
Copa Test Harry Turner Cl Cur

Joseph Hackley another brother of LOTT, FRANCIS and JOHN HACKLEY.
Joseph Hackley m. Mary Duncan, d/o Robert Ducan.
Joseph Hackley died and Mary remarried Thomas Grinnan.
Mary Ducan had sister Rosey who married James Jett and sister Lavina who married JOHN LIGHFOOT. (Wasn't there another LIGHTFOOT?)

Culpeper Co. VA Will Book D
D-91/3: Will of Robert (R) Duncan, 7 June 1788, of Culpeper Co., Parish of Saint Mark; I Robert Duncan,.....etc.. .......etc........ I lent to my daughter Mary who was then intermarried with Joseph Hackly one negro girl named Jenny, the said Joseph Hackly departing this life, my said daughter Mary then intermarried with Thomas Grinnan soon after which period I took possession of the said negro Jenny and in lieu of a negro gave and executed a deed for a parcel of land to the said Thomas Grinnan and Mary his wife,* and I do declare I never let my said daughter Mary have the said negro Jenny on no other conditions than on loan during pleasure. .............. As provision for my wife Ann Duncan's support, the remainder of my negroes, my household furniture, etc., shall be under the direction of my executors, then to be equally divided amongst my eleven following children or their heirs or representatives: Robert Duncan, John Duncan, Charles Duncan, Sammy Duncan, Joseph Duncan, Gollop Duncan, Mary Grinnan, Phillis Barbee, Anne Pope, Rosey Jett and Lavina Lightfoot; and as some difficulty may rise to effect the same, the remainder of my negroes shall be allotted into 11 shares, to be allocated by disinterested people appointed by the court; the remainder sold and money divided amongst my eleven children or legal representatives: Robert Duncan, John Duncan, Charles Duncan, Sammy Duncan, Joseph Duncan, Gollop Duncan, Mary Grinnan, Phillis Barbee, Anne Pope, Rosey Jett and Lavina Lightfoot. ...... Appoint son-in-law James Jett and John Lightfoot and son Gollop Duncan executors; if any of them decline, the court may appoint others. Wit. William Lawson, John Amiss, Amos Trane?. Exhibited at court 21 Oct. 1793 by James Jett, one of the executors; proved on oaths of John Amiss and Amos Crane
*See Prince William Co, Va Court Order, April 23, 1754, above.

Thanks! I'm just trying to ID Gabriel Jones Jr. with wife Elizabeth.

This thread: