VAALBEMA-L Archives

Archiver > VAALBEMA > 2008-12 > 1228435865

Subject: [VAALBEMA] The 1787 Census of Virginia
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 19:11:05 EST

Although I posted this to two Kentucky county rootsweb as well as to
Harris-Hunters, some of those researching in Virginia may like to know of this
resource--and a good way to use it.

E.W.Wallace

Those of you who do a lot of Kentucky research know that a good many early
settlers of Kentucky came from North Carolina [Daniel Boone and company, for

example, later hired by Col. Richard Henderson of NC] and of course,
Virginia.
Virginia claimed Kentucky--and what is now West Virginia--until Kentucky
became a State in 1792.

Because the 1790 census of Virginia is among those missing [the so-called
1790 census is a reconstructed census and is not a true census], the 1787
personal property tax lists for almost all counties extant in Virginia are a
good
resource for those with early Kentuckians.

Why? Because, as indicated, in 1787 Kentucky still belonged to Virginia.

There are three volumes called The 1787 Census of Virginia by
Netti-Schreiner-Yantis and Florine S. Love. These were compiled about two
decades ago and
may no longer be in print. Ask your public librarian to help you locate
where these three volumes may be in your State. If you live near a
University or
a college, try to find their online catalog and do a search for these
volumes. Some State libraries permit interlibrary loan. (You may have to
do
research in the library and not remove the books from the borrowing
library--so
ask.) Take plenty of money for photocopying!!!

The third volume to this set is the index to the preceding two volumes. So
that is the volume you MAY want to look at first.

If you have an uncommon surname, you are in luck. You may have only a few
pages to search. (And try to search unusual spellings for the surname.
Spelling was not standardized until way late, and even now some family
members
spell the name differently.)

BUT, if, like I, you have LOTS of common surnames, I highly recommend this:

Photocopy the pages of the index which pertain to your surname(s).

Then take a clean 81/2 x 11 sheet of paper and arrange numerically the
page
numbers you find in the index. That way, you can go to a photocopier and
do
your photocopying in an orderly manner.

Why should you pay attention to doing this search/photocopying in an
orderly
fashion? Because, like I, you may find your Virginia ancestor is in the
process of moving personal property [slaves, livestock, etc] to Kentucky,
and he
[or perhaps some females--mostly widows] has property in several
counties--in at least one Virginia county--and in Madison Co., which was
later in the
State [Commonwealth] of Kentucky.

Be sue to copy the key to the figures which appears in the first pages--I
believe it is in each volume, but I do not recall.

It took me a few years to figure this method of searching--so heed my
words!!!

You may find your underage ancestor is listed as a tithable of some older
person--even his widowed mother. Pay close attention to what you find.
(Look
for Thomas Jefferson in Albemarle Co., VA)

May you find these books in a nearby library. They are still under
copyright, and, to date, I have not seen these lists on the internet.

By the way, occasionally you can find listed on the internet occasional
individual county booklets. I have such a booklet by the same authors for
Fauquier Co.VA [whence came some of my Garrard Co. ancestors] and it has
some
extra material which enriches my family history. Do a google.com search
for
Nettie Schreiner-Yantis.

I have posted this previously, but we are always looking for missing
ancestors.

E.W.Wallace