US-CONVICT-ANCESTORS-L Archives

Archiver > US-CONVICT-ANCESTORS > 2003-10 > 1066575394

From: "Dale and Beth" <>
Subject: Re: [USCONVIC] Court/Trial Records?
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 09:56:34 -0500

Bonnie,
We just went to the county courthouse where my ancestor had been convicted
from. Fortunately for us, this courthouse still had the original records.
One of my ancestors had been convicted of murder, so we saw depositions and
records (all originals mind you) that pertained to the case. And one of his
nephews had been convicted of forgery, we actually held in our hands the
paper that he forged, and all the depositions and letters that had been
written. To actually have touched the papers that convicted these people was
exciting, to say the least. Unfortunately not all counties have the original
papers, many have microfilmed copies, we were very fortunate to have been
able to actually read and touch (no white gloves!) those papers.