UNDERWOOD-L Archives

Archiver > UNDERWOOD > 2006-10 > 1161091361

Subject: [UNDERWOOD] Attn: SAM WEAVER post June 20,2006 re: NORTH CAROLINA UNDERWOOD FAMILY
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:22:41 -0400

Dear Sam,

Somehow I missed your post of June 20, 2006 regarding the NORTH CAROLINA UNDERWOOD FAMILY. It appears that you have two generations of earlier information than I've previously seen.

(Your original post shown further below.)

My maternal 4th great grandmother was Sarah "Sally" UNDERWOOD whom you show:

<<Sarah U. "Sally" UNDERWOOD, b. 1775, Nash Co., N. C. d. 1809, Tar River, Nash Co., N. C. >>

I don't have the initial for her middle name of "U." that you show which is new for me.

Sarah U. "Sally" UNDERWOOD married Lewis Lamkin HATTEN and they were the parents of my maternal 3rd great grandfather, William HATTEN, born: January 01, 1800 on Tar River, Nash County, North Carolina, who became the 1st coroner of Winn Parish, Louisiana after having moved to Louisiana from Mississippi first living on Indian Creek in Jackson/Ouachita Parish, Louisiana with his 1st wife, my 3rd great grandmother, Frances Lucretia "Patsy" LOTT, born: abt. 1802 in AL/MS Territory. Frances is believed to have been of Choctaw descent somehow, at least in part, but we still have no proof...only that the story was told by her children and through each of their branches. She is believed to have been the daughter of Absalom LOTT and Martha Jane Dorsey? LIGHTFOOT though there are a couple of places on the internet that have very briefly shown her as the daughter of the Choctaw Chief TUSQUAHOMA who headed up a group of 50-60 Choctaw families in the Jackson/Ouachita Parish, Louisiana !
area from the 1790s into the time period between 1820-1840 when they sold their land and 'headed west' with some believed to have been in the East Texas area with the Texas Cherokee tribe headed up by Chief John BOWLES, Sr..

My William HATTEN, after the death of 1st wife, Frances Lucretia "Patsy" LOTT in 1840, moved to Winn Parish, Louisiana where he became the 1st Coroner and married 2nd wife, Anna "Annie" NETTLES.

William HATTEN and Frances Lucretia "Patsy" LOTT were the parents of my 2nd great grandfather, Lawrence M. HATTEN, (CSA/died POW,) who was the 1st husband of Frances Ann GRISHAM/GRESHAM, (aka GRISSON/GRISSOM,) whose 2nd husband was Zachariah Taylor "Zacharay/ aka Zack" FAITH,) and from Lawrence and Frances I descend through their son, Cicero Lamkin HATTEN, who married Rodella "Della" JONES and they were the parents of my maternal grandmother, Ethel Rosalie HATTEN, whose 1st husband was Joseph Marion WOMACK, Sr. and then after his death Ethel married as the 3rd wife of my twice widower maternal grandfather who was Louis Hector "Hec(k)" SLAUGHTER whose 1st wife was Mrs. Callie Martha/Martha Callie MUNN ADAMS, (widow of Sam V. ADAMS,) and 2nd wife, Mary LEE. Ethel and Louis lived in West Carroll Parish, Louisiana.

Sarah U. "Sally" UNDERWOOD was the daughter of, as you also show, Jacob UNDERWOOD and his wife, Hannah CLARKE, daughter of Jean ? and Robert CLARKE.

I had very little information past that but the name that I have for the father of Jacob UNDERWOOD was a Thomas UNDERWOOD shown as the son of the Chelo ? and Thomas UNDERWOOD that you, also, mention.

Your information shows that Jacob UNDERWOOD was the son of:

<<Samuel UNDERWOOD, b. 1740, Nash Co., N. C. d. 1813, Randolph Co., N. C. >>

Is it totally proven that Jacob UNDERWOOD was the son of Samuel UNDERWOOD instead of the Thomas UNDERWOOD who was the son of Chelo ? and Thomas UNDERWOOD?

And the information about Samuel UNDERWOOD is confusing to me...was he the son of a unknown son of the 1st generation, Joshua UNDERWOOD?

Or is it possible that Jacob UNDERWOOD was the son of the Thomas UNDERWOOD, son of Chelo ? and Thomas UNDERWOOD???

Information that I have in my files somewhere regarding the 1st census showing the son Thomas of Chelo ? and Thomas UNDERWOOD shows the son as either mulatto or colored....suggesting that Chelo was probably of Native American blood as the later census with the other children did not show that.

There is a Chickasaw Chief UNDERWOOD that appears to be relatively closely related to the family and his family is married into the Chickasaw SEALS family. I don't have that information on this computer right now. It's in my main files in a computer not yet set up from a recent move.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Bellinda Myrick-Barnett