UK-WORKHOUSE-HOSP-L Archives

Archiver > UK-WORKHOUSE-HOSP > 2005-04 > 1114794649

From: Martin Willcocks <>
Subject: Re: [UK-W&H] William Robert WILLCOCKS
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:10:49 -0600

Hello Eve:

Once again, thanks for your help. I went to TNA web site and with
considerable difficulty found references to catalogues of Poor Law
Unions but a search on the name Willcocks retrieved no results. There
is a statement that the number of the Poor Law Union is found in the
1851 census, but as I have no access to that, can you tell me what is
the number for the Bishops Stortford Union House, please?

I tried the search starting with William Robert Willcocks, broadening it
bit by bit to just plain "Willcocks" from 1871 to 1900, but still no
results! Yet they WERE Master and Matron for at least ten years, so why
the difficulty in finding them? BTW a personal trip to TNA is out of
the question.

Regards
Martin Willcocks
Taylorsville, UT, USA.

Eve McLaughlin <> wrote:

There is a reasonable chance that his application for the post will
exist (at TNA. Poor Law records) and this is quite likely to include
birth detaiuls, abnd certainly early career details. This will give you
his locatyion in earlier censuses. Most applications would be for a
joint appointment as Master and Matron, so her details should be there
as well.

This thread: