UK-WORKHOUSE-HOSP-L Archives

Archiver > UK-WORKHOUSE-HOSP > 2005-04 > 1114726653

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [UK-W&H] William Robert WILLCOCKS
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 23:17:33 +0100

In message <>, Martin Willcocks
<> writes
>Hi All:
>
>This list originally gave me a lead on my great-greatuncle William
>Robert WILLCOCKS in place I would not have connected with him at all -
>as Master of the Union House, Bishops Stortford, in the 1881 Census. He
>was there still as Master in 1891 and retired Master in 1901, and he
>died in 1904. His wife succeeded him a few years later.

There is a reasonable chance that his application for the post will
exist (at TNA. Poor Law records) and this is quite likely to include
birth detaiuls, abnd certainly early career details. This will give you
his locatyion in earlier censuses. Most applications would be for a
joint appointment as Master and Matron, so her details should be there
as well.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society