UK-WORKHOUSE-HOSP-L Archives

Archiver > UK-WORKHOUSE-HOSP > 2003-04 > 1049571499

Subject: Re: [UK-W&H] Southampton
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 20:38:25 +0100 (BST)

Hello there,
I used to work at Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust and tried to research much of its history.The hospital was founded in 1900 as Southampton Incorporation Infirmary[the workhouse hospital].It became the Borough Hospital when these hospitals were taken into local authority control in 1929/30.It continued under this title and Southampton Borough General Hospital before becoming Southampton General hospital on the formation of the nhs in 1948.I have a number of illustrations of ther hospital if required.I wuold also recommend ;http://groups.msn.com/nursingbadges/petersbades.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=444 for a picture of the hospital badge,
Regards Peter.