UK-WORKHOUSE-HOSP-L Archives

Archiver > UK-WORKHOUSE-HOSP > 2002-06 > 1023931941

From: "kate Burns" <>
Subject: [UK-W&H] Re: Workhouse deaths
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 23:35:17 +1000

I wonder if someone could tell me the procedure (that might have happened)
once a person died in a Workhouse? I have found a (maybe) relative and
although the death is noted, would there be anywhere I might find a note of
next of kin etc. who would/might have been advised of the death but probably
also were unable to pay for a funeral?

Also, this lady died in 1837 - in Surrey, but if I have the right person, I
think she lived elsewhere with her husband. When her husband died would she
have had to return to the village where she was born?

I hope it makes sense....

Many thanks

Kate
Queensland