UK-GENEALOGY-NEWBIES-L Archives

Archiver > UK-GENEALOGY-NEWBIES > 2004-01 > 1073472594

From: "Ruth Bowes" <>
Subject: Re: [UK-GEN-NEWBIES] Fathers name on Birth Certificate
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 10:52:13 -0000

David,

The way that I would go about doing this is probably to order the
certificate via the General Register Office in Southport, rather than using
a local office. Have a look at:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/registration/certificates.asp

You can download a form to fill in which you can post or use to get all the
information together before ordering over the telephone (0870 243 7788). I'm
fairly sure the forms are the same as those which you would pick up at the
Family Records Centre in London and therefore you can specify that you only
want the certificate if the father's name is....whatever.

The more work you can do yourself the better, as the cost will be less, so
if you can give them the GRO index references for those you think could be
the one, they will check each for the father's name before sending you the
correct one.

Hope this helps.

Ruth