UFT-L Archives

Archiver > UFT > 2012-01 > 1326388402

From: Pierce Reid <>
Subject: Re: [UFT] restore a project
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 09:13:22 -0800 (PST)

Pat,

   I hope you can recover your data base from the floppies. Back when I backed up to floppies, I needed 10 of them and half the time at least one was defective and that made the whole backup useless.

   I recommend backing up to the hard disk (usually C:) and then copying the backup file to a USB flash drive or a CD. I then restore the file on a second computer. (I save copies on my mother-in-laws machine - she has no clue about using UFT.) A few times even that backup fails to restore, so I immediately create another backup. Only when I have restored the backup on another computer am I confident that I have a usable backup. I keep many copies of backups on my C: drive - I have several years worth. A few times I have had to go back several generations of backups to find data that I had incorrectly changed.  (I've heard of IT departments of large companies that regularly backed up their systems to tape, but when they really needed it, they could not restore a backup. There was a flaw in one of the tapes.)

   Good luck on getting you data back.

Pierce