UFT-L Archives

Archiver > UFT > 2009-10 > 1256318990

Subject: Re: [UFT] UFT Digest, Vol 4, Issue 111
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:29:50 EDT

UFT users: If you are thinking about upgrading to Windows 7 following are
excerpts from different things that I looked at on the web. These things
might help you in making a decision. I myself will definitely be upgrading
from Vista 64 to Windows 7 in the near future.
Don Hansen
Following is part of a review from a Windows 7 user:
"What's great about it: Everything, literally
What's not so great: Nothing I can think of at the moment
Windows 7 is a great operating system. Let's just say it creams Vista.
>From its brand new taskbar, to home group, to the little things that make
everyday usage on your computer so much easier and efficient.
Plus, it's compatibility with Windows Vista and XP is fantastic.
Especially with Windows XP Mode, which virtualizes Windows XP when you launch it so
your XP apps are compatible on Windows 7. If you are going to buy
technology, you might as well buy the latest. Windows 7 is fast, secure, and a
pleasure to use. It blows any other previous operating system away."
The chief advantage of the 64-bit version of Windows 7 is that it can use
more than 4 gigabytes of RAM (useful if you add RAM later); 32-bit Windows
7 can't do it.
64-bit Vista will upgrade smoothly to 64-bit Windows 7. Most programs
should make the transfer (firewalls may not.)
32-bit Vista is too dissimilar from 64-bit Windows 7 for an upgrade. It
needs a "clean install" that wipes out everything.
Are there any new PCs that can't run Windows 7? Microsoft says no. ZDNet
says the only new PCs that aren't suitable are netbooks (downsized laptops)
that use the least-capable Intel Atom processor.
Note: The optional XP Mode for Windows 7, which can be downloaded for
free, has a special requirement: chips that include Intel "virtualization
technology" or AMD-V processor chips.
To check your computer’s processor for virtualization technology, go to
the SecurAble web site at http://www.grc.com/securable.htm. SecurAble probes
the system's processor to determine the presence, absence and operational
status of three modern processor features; 64-bit instruction extensions,
hardware support for detecting and preventing the execution of code in
program data areas, and hardware support for system resource “virtualization.”
After a few moments the results will be shown with two icons – one for 32
bit and one for 64 bit. If you see a large green Yes in the 64 bit icon above
Hardware Virtualization your processor will handle XP Mode for Windows 7.

You must also upgrade to the Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate edition.
Windows 7 Home Premium will not handle the optional XP Mode for Windows 7.
For a comparison of the Windows 7 editions go to
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

In a message dated 10/23/2009 2:18:20 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
writes:

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Report print codes UFT & Win2000 Pro (Pierce Reid)
2. Win7 (Bob Strock)

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 07:41:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Pierce Reid <>
Subject: Re: [UFT] Report print codes UFT & Win2000 Pro

Ideally, you should do a fresh install when putting UFT on a new computer.
This would normally install the FROOTS font.

I don't use FROOTS since I send my reports to an rtf (Rich Text Format)
file and then load them into Word or OpenOffice Write. This lets me make
edits to the reports and then print them with a correct Index.

I've got UFT to work on Windows Vista 32 but have not tried Vista 64. The
new Windows 7 may also be a problem. Is there a version of Win 7 that will
run UFT? All my home computers run Windows XP and I keep copies of my data
base on all of them.

Pierce