TXLAMPAS-L Archives

Archiver > TXLAMPAS > 2002-06 > 1023374104

Subject: [TXLAMPAS] Re: Brown Family, Murder, Letters, My Ancestry
Date: 6 Jun 2002 08:35:04 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/JkB.2ACE/573.2.2.1.1.2.1.1

Message Board Post:

Horace,

I'm going to take a guess at this one. The woman (T.C. Brown) from reading the letter, sounds to be older, as she talks about being ill for half the year, and is at the time of her letter, in her words "feeble". She writes about the death of her mother, as if it didn't occur too many years before, so I don't think the writer of the letter is over 60 years of age. She mentions Alex Brown as "our brother". The writer refers to the men who preached in her church as "Bro.", but since no research has shown Alex to be a man of the cloth, I think that he really was a brother to her family, if not by blood, than marriage. I believe from research thus far, that in 1891, when the letter was written, Hugh Brown, his wife Telitha or Tabithy, and children, were living in this region of TX, either in Lampasas county or neighboring Burnet Co. Nine years after the letter is written Hugh and children are in Burnet Co. His wife has passed away. I think that Telitha, or Tabithy, who !
at the time the letter was written was 58 years old, might be the one who wrote it. She passed away prior to the 1900 census, so Telitha/Tabithy probably had been ill. I'll check cemetery records again for Lampasas and Burnet Counties to see if I can find Telitha/Tabithy Brown to see if a middle name or initial is indicated. Go over your research notes and check if there is anyway that she might fit in as the author of your letter. Let me know. I've e-mailed this info to Murphy as well.

Janet

This thread: