TX-MEX-L Archives

Archiver > TX-MEX > 1999-10 > 0940007488

From: <>
Subject: Re: Spanish research
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:11:28 EDT

Hi. Kathleen Acuna here.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L TO SEE ALL THE SHARING ON SURNAME RESEARCH
THE PAST COUPLE OF DAYS!! THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS POSTED THEIR SURNAMES.
- ---------------------------------
I am researching these surnames:
ACUNA---Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico
and Bisbee, Arizona
HERNANDEZ---LaColorada, Sonora, Mexico
PACHECO---LaColorada, Sonora, Mexico
and Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico
OCHOA---Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico
GONZALES---El Paso, Texas and Uvalde, Texas & unknown origins in Mexico
BOTELLO---Holbrook, Arizona & unknown origins in Mexico
GALLEGOS---McNary, Arizona & unknown origins in Mexico
- -----------------------------------
A special thanks to Dee for her great explanation on using LDS Family History
Centers. I have been very involved in using that source for more than two
years, and it has allowed me to obtain nearly all the info I now have. There
are thousands of these centers (libraries, actually) located all around the
U.S. They are a wonderful help; and you do not have to be a member of the
church to use the centers. It does cost $3.25 for the rental of each film
you want to order to look through, but that is a mere pittance for all the
valuable family information you will eventually find. :)
-------------------------

Dee said:
>>>Other than the fact that they are written in Spanish and sometimes with a
little Latin tossed in, and they are usually written in very poor penmanship
with bad ink by priests that sometimes spelled the names the way they sounded
to them

---Yes, absolutely true. The Mexico records are in handwritten Spanish and I
don't speak or read a word of it, so was a little worried when I first
started looking for family names there, but you learn to look for "names" on
the films--the names of your ancestors--and ignore the fact that the rest of
the document looks like it's from another planet; and you'd be surprised how
easy it becomes after the first time or two of looking. A very interesting
experience.
- ----------------------------

Dee said:
>>>and they are usually written in very poor penmanship with bad ink by
priests that sometimes spelled the names the way they sounded to them

---This reminded me of a humorous event, the first time I searched for one of
our family surnames on a U.S. census. I was looking for my husband's
grandmother, whose last name was 'Gallegos'. We knew FOR SURE that they had
lived in that state, in that year of the census I was searching through, yet
they were NOT recorded there! It's perplexing, especially when you KNOW for
sure that they lived there and should have been on the census.

I searched through that census--looking for Grandma Gallegos--three times,
yet could not find them. Finally, on the fourth time through I ignored last
names and focused on looking for their first names only. It was likely that
they would have been the only couple with the first names of Apolonia &
Berginio in a tiny town like that. Sure enough, they were listed there after
all---not with the spelling of G-a-l-l-e-g-o-s, but spelled "GIAGOES".
Evidently the census-taker was not familiar with the Mexican culture, and had
spelled Gallegos as it sounded to her ears. Aarrrgh....! Isn't that a
hoot? Genealogy can be ver-r-r-y interesting.

This thread: