Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2008-08 > 1219106512

From: "Elissa Scalise Powell, CG" <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] ProGen Study Group
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:41:52 -0400

Patti, LeRoy, et al,

The ProGen Study group was put together in late winter this year to study
the book "Professional Genealogy" with monthly chapter readings,
assignments, and discussions. The organizers have done a very good job of
putting together peer review groups and discussion groupings of the peer
groups. In the beginning I believe it was a set up to not allow much
movement in or out of the group until the completion of the book which they
projected taking 18 months. I will let some of the group leaders to give
further details.

I have quite enjoyed playing advisor and resource to the 5 ProGen Study
discussion groups each month. Although each group has the same pre-set
questions based on that month's chapter reading and assignments, the
discussion takes off in different directions, as you would expect, with
different life experiences.

There are other ways to learn the ins and outs of what it takes to be a
professional genealogist:
You could read ProGen yourself.
You can use this list as a sounding board.
You *should* read the archives which go back to December since many pearls
of wisdom were shared earlier.
You can join the Association of Professional Genealogists (APG) for their
Quarterly and discount on books (like ProGen).
You can attend the APG Professional Management Conference held each year on
the Wednesday of the FGS conference. This year it is in Philadelphia on
September 3, next year it is in Little Rock, Arkansas (see www.APGen.org)
You can join the APG-L list (see the archives link at www.APGen.org under
publications)
The Institute for Genealogy and Historical Research (IGHR) held at Samford
University each June has a one-week long Professional Genealogy course in
the odd-numbered years. (Plan now for next June!)
And the newest program will be a Certificate in Genealogical Research to be
taught at Boston University beginning January. This is a 14-week course held
on Saturdays from Jan. 17 through April 25. See
http://professional.bu.edu/cpe/Genealogy.asp

If you are earnest about learning the business of genealogy and
transitioning into becoming a professional, then this list supports that
goal. Thanks for joining us.

-- Elissa in Pittsburgh, PA

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG
www.PowellGenealogy.com
Certification of Genealogists used under license after periodic evaluations
by the Board.

This thread: