TNSTEWAR-L Archives

Archiver > TNSTEWAR > 2003-08 > 1061676797

From: MICHAEL MARTINEZ <>
Subject: Re: [TNSTEWAR] Roger ... re: Exum Parker question
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 15:13:20 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you. That confirms what I've been finding in other records.

I believe the John and Jane Parker I've been looking for are the following folks. I'm still way open for correction if I've gotten things mixed up. As far as the Mathis information that I've included, I believe that it is correct but have got confirming evidence as of yet, only a preponderance of circumstantial evidence from census records, etc.

Kathy

Descendants of Exum F. PARKER - 23 Aug 2003
FIRST GENERATION
1. Exum F. PARKER was born on 16 Nov 1795 in , Gates, NC. He appeared on the census in 1850 in , Stewart, TN.
63 Exum F. PARKER 53 m w NC
Susan 53 f w Ky
Alfred 21 m w Tenn
William 18 m w Tenn
Matilda 14 f w Tenn
Nancy 10 f w Tenn
He signed a will on 16 Sep 1851 in , Stewart, TN. Exum Parker
This information is courtesy of Roger and Judy Lehman.
Record # 280 as transcribed from original filed in Rutherford County Book of Deeds. 'Deed book 5, pp 197-199.
No 280
Exum Parker
State of Tennessee Stewart County,
To} Power Atto
Mallory Parker
To all who shall see these presents, Greetings. Know Ye that for divers and good causes and considerations, I, Exum Parker of the County and state aforesaid, have nominated, made, constituted, and appointed, and place in my room and stead my worthy friend Mallory Parker of Rutherford County, state of Tennessee my true and lawful attorney for me and in my name, place and stead to bargain, sell grant, convey, with or without general warranty all my interest in the lands in Rutherford County, state of Tennessee belonging to my Father, Jonathan Parker, deceased, in one or more tracts or parcels as shall best suit purchasers with the hereditaments & appertainces thereto belonging and all the estates right title and interest therin unto such person or persons and for price or prices as he shall think proper and also for me and in my room and stead and as my proper and effectual act and deed to make, sign, and seal and deliver all such deed or deeds of conveyances as shall be neces!
sary for
conveying and granting the promises according to the terms of the agreement of the sale and purchase giving and granting to my said attorney by these presents my full and whole person strengths and authority in and about the promises in as full a manner as I myself possess them hereby ratifying, holding and allowing firm and effectual all and whatsoever my said attorney shall lawfully do in and about the promised, in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 19th day of July 1851.
Signed Exum Parker
Seal State of Tennessee} Stewart County } Personnaly appeared before me, William Cook, Clerk of Stewart County Court, Exum Parker, the written bargainer with whom I am personnaly acquainted and acknowledge the same to be his act and deed for the purpose therin contained. Given under my hand at office in the town of Dover, this 19th day of July 1851.

Signed W. Cook,
Clerk of Stewart County Court
Registered Sept 16th 1851
His cause of death was by a kick from a horse in 1860 in , Stewart, TN. He died on 4 Mar 1860 in , Stewart, TN.

He was married to Susan KING in 1820. Susan KING was born about 1797 in KY. Exum F. PARKER and Susan KING had the following children:
+2 i. Capt. John Ed Wiley PARKER.
3 ii. Alfred PARKER was born in 1829.
4 iii. William PARKER was born about 1832.
5 iv. Matilda PARKER was born about 1836.
6 v. Nancy PARKER was born about 1840.

SECOND GENERATION
2. Capt. John Ed Wiley PARKER was born on 22 Sep 1822 in NC. He appeared on the census in 1850 in , Stewart, TN. He appeared on the census in 1860 in , Stewart, TN. He appeared on the census in 1870 in , Stewart, TN. He appeared on the census in 1880 in , Stewart, TN. He died in 1892 in , Stewart, TN.
Tennessee the Volunteer State 17691923: Volume 4
CHARLES N. PARKER.
One of the most popular and highly esteemed citizens of Erin is Charles N. Parker, clerk and master in chancery. He was born in Stewart county, on the 7th of July, 1853, a son of John W. Parker and his wife, Elizabeth Jane (Cook) Parker. The paternal grandfather, Exum Parker, was born in North Carolina in 1792. He came to Tennessee in the early part of the nineteenth century and located in Stewart county. His wife was Susan King, likewise a native of North Carolina. The grandparents on the maternal side were Peyton and Rebecca (Andrews) Cook, natives of North Carolina. John W. Parker was born in that state in 1822. Upon the outbreak of the Civil war he took up arms in defense of the Confederacy, serving throughout the war as a first lieutenant in the Fiftieth Tennessee Regiment, under Colonel Bailey. At the close of the war he became a farmer and nurseryman and resided in Stewart county until his death in 1892. He achieved substantial success in life and was highly respected!
and
esteemed in the community in which he made his home. Mrs. Parker was a native of Dover, Tennessee, and her demise occurred in 1873, at the age of forty-six years

He was married to Elizabeth Jane COOK (daughter of Peyton COOK and Rebecca ANDREWS) on 13 Mar 1845. Elizabeth Jane COOK was born about 1827 in Dover, Stewart, TN. She died in 1873 in , Stewart, TN.

Capt. John Ed Wiley PARKER and Elizabeth Jane COOK had the following children:
+7 i. William Franklin PARKER.
+8 ii. Robert Clement PARKER.
+9 iii. Emma Elizabeth PARKER.
10 iv. Charles Nott PARKER was born on 7 Jul 1853 in , Stewart, TN.
11 v. Wellington "Wiley" PARKER was born about 1859 in TN. He appeared on the census in 1880 in Cumberland Ironworks, Stewart, TN. Household:
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
William PARKER Self M Male W 35 TN Wagoner TN TN
Margarett PARKER Wife M Female W 31 KY House Keeping KY KY
Mary HARRIS SDau S Female W 14 TN At Home TN KY
Henry PARKER Son S Male W 7 TN TN KY
Anna PARKER Dau S Female W 6 TN TN KY
Lins PARKER Brother S Male W 21 TN Laborer TN TN
He died after 1880. He was also known as Lins/Lais. on the 1880 census He was also known as Wiley on the 1870 census
12 vi. Isaac Peyton PARKER was born about 1861 in , Stewart, TN.
He was married to Mollie between 1874 and 1880 in , Stewart, TN. Mollie was born about 1847.

THIRD GENERATION
7. William Franklin PARKER was born about 1845 in TN. He appeared on the census in 1880 in Cumberland Ironworks, Stewart, TN. Household:
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
William PARKER Self M Male W 35 TN Wagoner TN TN
Margarett PARKER Wife M Female W 31 KY House Keeping KY KY
Mary HARRIS SDau S Female W 14 TN At Home TN KY
Henry PARKER Son S Male W 7 TN TN KY
Anna PARKER Dau S Female W 6 TN TN KY
Lins PARKER Brother S Male W 21 TN Laborer TN TN
He died after 1880. He was married to Margaret E. MATHIS? (daughter of Anderson B. MATHIS and Martha W. FRANCES) on 26 Mar 1872 in Cumberland Ironworks, Stewart, TN. Margaret E. MATHIS? was born about 1849 in KY. She appeared on the census in 1870 in , Stewart, TN.
52/52 Wm LEWIS 53 m w farmer 10000/2480 Tn
Samantha 40 f w keeping house Tn
Robt 15 m w farm hand Tn
James 13 m w in school Tn
Thos 12 m w in school Tn
Douglas 8 m w Tn
Charles 6 m w Tn
Leona 4 f w Tn
Edgar 3 m w Tn
Margt HARRIS 21 f w domestic servant Tn
Mary 3 f w Tn
She died after 1932. The reason I picked aft 1932 is because my Aunt Connie Snoddy Kelly says that she can remember this woman. William Franklin PARKER and Margaret E. MATHIS? had the following children:
13 i. Henry C. PARKER was born in Dec 1873 in TN. He appeared on the census in 1880 in Cumberland Ironworks, Stewart, TN. He appeared on the census in 1900 in , Stewart, TN. Living with his half-sister Mary Harris Booring in the 1900 census. He died after 1900.
14 ii. Anna PARKER was born about 1874 in TN. She appeared on the census in 1880 in Cumberland Ironworks, Stewart, TN. She died after 1880.

8. Robert Clement PARKER was born about 1848 in TN.
He was married to Caroline FRAZIER on 17 Nov 1870. Caroline FRAZIER was born about 1849. Robert Clement PARKER and Caroline FRAZIER had the following children:
15 i. Edgar PARKER was born about 1872 in , Stewart, TN.
16 ii. Willie PARKER was born about 1874.
17 iii. Daisy PARKER was born about 1875.
18 iv. Joseph PARKER was born about 1879.

9. Emma Elizabeth PARKER was born about 1851 in , Stewart, TN.
She was married to Samuel D. DILLON on 28 Dec 1881.

Roger Lehman <> wrote:
Looks like my attachment did not come through, let me try something else.

"In the power of attorney, I see that Jonathon is listed as the father of Exum Parker. I've seen other entries that list his father's name as Isaac. Am I confused or is there a lot of bad information out there?"

Kathy

No 283 For and in consideration of the sum

Malary Parker & others Thirteen Hundred Ninety Seven Dollars and

To } Deed 45 cents to us paid by William Pitts the

William Pitts receipt of which is hereby acknowledged,

We, Exum Parker, Garrison Parker, Docton

Parker, Donalson Parker, Malary Parker, Joseph Douglass, Joseph M. Holden and Rachel

A Holden his wife formerly Rachel A Douglass have this day bargained and sold and

Surely transfer and convey to the said William Pitts his heirs and assigns forever the described tract piece or parcel of land lying and being in the state of Tennessee, County of Rutherford and civil district No. 23 and on the waters of Cripple Creek and bounded as following (to wit) Beginning at a stake David Harrell South West Corner running N 70 deg Seventy one poles to a cedar, thence s 65 deg twenty eight poles to a stake the center of the creek, thence south 22 poles to a stake, thence S 3 deg. W twelve poles to a stake S 4 deg E six poles to a stake, thence S 1 deg W twenty poles to a stake thence S 2 deg W ten poles to a stake, thence S 2 deg E sixteen poles to a stake, thence S 2 deg E ten poles to a stake, thence s # deg W six and a half poles to a stake thence S 70 1/2 E Sixteen poles to a stake, thence south one hundred and seventy two poles to a stake, thence West ninety four and poles to a cedar, thence north one hundred and sixty four and pol!
es to a stake, thence N. 87 deg W. seventy one and a half poles to a red oak B Yardley's Clymer, thence N 56 deg E fourteen poles to the center of a branch, thence down said branch to cripple creek, thence down said creek to the Beginning Containing by Estimation one hundred eighty one acres and seventy eight poles be the same more or less, to have and to hold the above described tract of land to the said William Pitts his heirs and assigns forever, and we do Covenant and agree to and with the said William Pitts that we are lawfully seized and possessed of said land and have a good right to convey it and that the same is unencumbered, and we further bind ourselves and heirs and representatives to warrant and forever defend the right and title of said land to the said William Pitts his heirs and assigns forever against the lawful claim or claims of all manner of person or persons whom ever. Witness our hands and seals this 15 th day of September 1851.

Witnesses Signed

his

John Woods Docton X Parker (Seal)

A. J. Reeves mark