TNGILES-L ArchivesArchiver > TNGILES > 2006-06 > 1151125408
Subject: Andrew Jackson Kersey, Civil War Pension
Date: 23 Jun 2006 23:03:28 -0600
This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
Surnames: Kersey, James, Evans, Smith
Message Board URL:
Message Board Post:
NAME: Kersez, Andrew Jackson
UNIT: 48th ( Voorhies') Inf.
5 March 1903 Soldiers Application for Pension #4746 (rejected).
Andrew Jackson Kersey, a native of the State of Tennessee and now a citizen of Mooresville, county of Marshall, State of Tennessee was a soldier in the war between the U. S. and Confederate States, do hereby apply for aid under the Act of the General Assembly of Tennessee ... I do swear that while in the discharge of my duty in the services of the Confederate or United States was a member of Co. F. 48th Regt., Tenn. Infantry (not wounded) .... unable to earn a living and support for family.
Answers to questions:
1. In what county were you born? In Giles County, Tenn, 20th day of Feb, 1876 (Must be a misprint for 1826)
2. When did you enlist? In 1862 in Co. F, 48th Tenn Infantry, with Col. W. Voorhese, A. S. Godwind, Lt. Col. T. S. Jameson (?), Capt. I. J. Howlett, J. M. Cheatham, Lt. J. W. Kerr, 2nd Lt. M. (unreadable).
3. Battles: I was never wounded; I am much affliction with rhumatism which commenced in the war and had continued since service until I am unable to get about.
4. If discharged from the army where were you until the close of the war? Never discharged but paroled at end of war at G....? NC, Samuel Godwin was Regt. Surgeon.
5. How did you get out of the army? Paroled at end of war in NC.
6. Did you take oath of allegiance to US government? No. At no time.
7. Are you married? I have been twice, both wives are dead.
8. Size of family: I have no family now. I have one son and two daughters, all married. Daughters are age 50 and 46, son is 48.
9. Are your children able to support you? I am now living with one of my daughters who but for the health of her husband would be willing; besides she lives in Oklahoma.
10. What business are you engaged in? None
11. What estate do you have in own right? I have a small tract of rough land for which I receive about $60 per year. It is almost unsalable.
12. How have you derived support for the last five years? I have lived with my daughter who now is incapacited by her sick husband and her own health.
13. Do you use intoxicants? No.
14. How long have you lived in Tenn.? All my life.
15. Signed: A. J. (X his mark) Kersey; witnessed by M. B. Smiser, M. Gomlesesure? And R. G. Wanden? Witness 29 Feb 1908.
The following said: "We the undersigned know Mr. Kersey and know of no better soldier." T. E. James of the 48th Tenn.; H. G. Evans, Lt. Col. 48th Tenn.; Robt. D. Smith.