TNCOCKE-L Archives

Archiver > TNCOCKE > 2004-01 > 1074952471

Subject: Re: [TN-Cocke] Lilllard -- McCoy -- Allen -- in Cocke County ca 1790's
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:54:31 EST

Paul,
I have the book Over the Misty Blue Hills and here's what it says:
Ref: Over the Misty Blue Hills by Ruth Webb O'Dell, pg 113
Rachel McKay Leith Lillard was the sister of Lieutenant Colonel Abraham
McKay, who with wife, Rachel O'Dell McKay, removed to Cocke County from Shenandoah
County, Virginia, in 1783. She was the granddaughter of Robert McKay, Sr.,
the partner of Joist Heydt (Hite) who in 1731 secured from the Governor of
Virginia an order for one hundred thousand acres of land in the lower Shenandoah
valley, provided they would settle one hundred families on the land in two
years. Both McKay and Hite were fro Pennsylvania.

It is evident that Rachel McKay who married the Leith and was "disowned" by
the Crooked Run Quaker Church is the same Rachel McKay, who later married
William Lillard.

pg 114, footnote 7
Some historians claim that the mother of Rachel McKay Leith Lillard was a
McAlister. This seems to be in error according to above record. (footnote 6) In
addition to this proof, Jane Thomas O'Dell, at the age of ninety, often talked
with the author of the relationship of the McKay, O'Dell, Whitson, Job,
Leith, Lillard, and Faubion families. The same legend is also in the Lillard
family, according to the present William Lillard of Newport.

Leah McKay married William Taylor who died in 1749. Later she married a
Leith, which establishes the Leith-McKay relationship, twenty nine years previous
to Rachel's marriage to Leith. Rachel was a niece of Leah.

In Deed Book M, page 239 Shenandoah Co Virginia is recorded "William Lillard
and Rachel, his wife, and James Leith, son of said Rachel, all of Cocke County
deed to Isaac Hershberger, of Shenandoah Co Virginia, 568 acres of land in
that county for two hundred pounds."

Ref: Shenandoah Co. Virginia Marriages
William Lillard & Rachael Leath 28 Aug 1783

Ref: Over the Misty Blue Hills by Ruth Webb O'Dell,
pg 114
footnote 6
On page 50, LILLARD FAMILY, by Jacques Ephraim Stout Lillard, is a record
mentionng William Lillard and wife, Rachel, and James Leith, son of said Rachel,
all of Cocke County, Tennessee.

Ref: David Lillards book "LILLARD: A FAMILY OF COLONIAL VIRGINIA"
William Lillard was a Colonel in the Militia,in 1820 was a delegate to the
first constitutional convention of Missouri, was a representative from Cooper
County, Missouri, And Lillard County ,Missouri was named for him.
He was born in Culpeper County, Va, the son of James and Kesiah Bradley
LILLARD.Died in Monroe Co, Tn before Oct 1826.Married Rachel McCoy whose mother was
a McAlister.During his lifetime he lived in Virginia,moved to east Tn
settling in Cocke Co, migrated to Mo, and later returned to Monroe Co, Tn.
The children Of Col William and Rachel are:
Jeremiah LILLARD B. 1796
Augustine LILLARD
James A. LILLARD
Nancy LILLARD B. May 7,1786
William LILLARD, Jr B. Aug 14,1798
Rachel LILLARD
John LILLARD
Louisa Margaret LILLARD married Aug 23,1838 in Monroe Co, TN to Benjamin M.
Roth

Rachel is supposed to be the daughter of Moses McKay and Mary Job. Moses
McKay was the son of Robert McKay. I have children listed for Robert as Moses,
Leah, Robert Jr, and James.

Ref: Over the Misty Blue Hills by Ruth Webb O'Dell, pg 114
The Church records (Quaker) show the independence of the Moses and Mary Job
McKay family; as told in the Job records.

Ref: Over the Misty Blue Hills by Ruth Webb O'Dell

Both McKay and Hite were from Pennsylvania.

pg 114, footnote 5
Hite secured a group of Germans and Dutch--some Dutch Reformed and some
Mennonites. McKay drew from his Quaker Association, the chief of which was the
Jobe family, already connected by marriage. They were originally from Freehold,
Monmouth County, New Jersey, though they were for a time within the bounds of
the Nottingham Monthly Meeting, Cecil County, Maryland.

(McKay) withdrew from the company before 1752. He had a tract of seven
thousand acres on Linville Creek, in what is now Rockingham County..In 1746 another
twelve hundred acres was transferred to him. At his death in 1752, these
lands descended to his four sons who kept it until 1768, when three hundred acres
were sold to Tunish Van Pelt and six hundred acres to Captain Abraham Lincoln,
the forebear of President Abraham Lincoln.

Joist Hite settled five miles south of Winchester, Frederick County, while
Robert McKay chose the south bank of the Shenandoah River for his home, several
miles above Riverton. Here was developed the Crooked Run Monthly Meeting,
Quaker Faith, a part of Hopewell Monthly Meeting nearer Winchester. Robert
McKay, Jr adhered to the Friends Communion, as did all his brothers, except James
McKay. Many of the third generation married out of the church and the Baptist
revival of 1770 drew attention to the body.

Moses McKay and Mary Job had at least these children: Lt Col Abraham McKay b
abt 1752 married Rachel O'Dell and their girls married into my Faubion family,
Rachael married Mr. Leith and then Col William Lillard, Jeremiah McKay. These
McKay's are all over the records of Cocke Co church records which are online.

I am not directly blood related, but I'm related to some of these McKay's
which were also sometimes McCoy, McKoy, McKay. I also am related to some of the
Lillard's through my Campbell family out of the same areas of Virginia. Some of
the Lillard's were in Madison and Culpeper Co Virginia before coming down
into Cocke County.

If you need more information contact me.
Carolyn Whitaker

This thread: