TNCANNON-L Archives

Archiver > TNCANNON > 2010-12 > 1292177677

Subject: Re: [TNCANNON] Phillips/Farler
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 12:14:37 -0600

This gets more interesting. If Patton's name is indeed Farler, then my
great grandparents, Hugh B. & Mary Belle (Fowler) Phillips apparently have
no known kinship.

The jury does have some interesting names, though I assume they would not
be relatives of the couple who lost their child. Martin L. Prater's niece,
Mary L. E. Prater/Woods, was Hugh B. Phiilips' first wife. All of their
grandchildren were born here as Hugh & Mary's daughter, Francis Mariah
"Fannie" (Phillips) McCoy married at age 17 in 1891 to a widower with six
children, and all eleven of her children were born here. Mary L. E. Prater
was born shortly before the marriage of her parents, Nathan & Kessiah
(Prater) Woods. Even though Fannie told her children that Mary L. E.
(Prater/Woods) Phillips was a Woods, the censuses and marriage records are
inconsistant. She's called Woods in censuses, but Prater in their marriage
record. My grandfather was the oldest child of the second marriage, both
Mary and the oldest daughter of Hugh and Mary, Louisa Phillips, having
died before 1876.

Nathan Neely is related to Ruth (Neely) Elkins, first wife of Mary Belle
(Fowler) Phillips' Uncle, Higdon Richard Jarrett "Dick" Elkins. All Dick's
grandchildren were born here too and he lived here until his death in
1924.

James Mears was kin to Sarah (Phillips) Mears, daughter of James Phillips
whom some believe may be related to Benjamin H. F. Phillips. Sarah moved
to Marion County, Arkansas near the Newton/Searcy County place where Hugh
B. Phillips and his third wife moved in 1894. I grew up on and still own
much of the farm Hugh bought there in 1900.

But, none of that gets us any closer to who Patton Farler and Nancy
Phillips were.

We've never found any suggestion of a connection between the families of
Rezin Fowler and Jacob B. Fowler, father of Mary Belle (Fowler) Phillips.