TNCANNON-L Archives

Archiver > TNCANNON > 2009-05 > 1242096556

From: "Wheatland" <>
Subject: Re: [TNCANNON] Moving from TN to TX
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 21:49:16 -0500

My g-grandfather, James V Spain, took his wife, seven sons and two daughters
to Ellis Co, TX. He also had a brother, Samuel Eagleton Spain, who brought
his family to TX. They had both married McKnight women. When asked why the
family left, my g-father said so they wouldn't starve to death. Their stock
and farm equipment came by train. They also had property in Bowie, Montague
Co, TX. Three of the boys stayed in Texas, settling in Montague and Denton
counties, and the others went to Maricopa County, AZ. Now, somebody please
explain to me why anyone would go to Phoenix in 1905!!! That's well before
air conditioning! Mother remembers a train ride there. The windows were
all open. They were warned to duck if the Indians showed up.