THOMPSON-L Archives

Archiver > THOMPSON > 2007-04 > 1177127835

From: "" <>
Subject: [THOMPSON] Samuel Thompson b. 1801-1806 of Burke Co.,NC wife Mary - his family?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 03:57:15 -0000

Author: buffknut
Surnames: Thompson, Coleman
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.thompson/16660/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

I am looking for information on the Samuel Thompson of Burke County, North Carolina. I beleive he is probably an ancestor to my children and grandchildren. I have what I assume is a wife named Mary, but do not know if she was his only wife. I believe I have found him in the census years 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860 and 1870 in Burke County.

Names that belong to his household are:
Lavinia E. "Viney" Apr 1828
Sarah Bet. 1829 - 1830
Margaret Bet. 1832 - 1833
Eliza Bet. 1835 - 1836
John Bet. 1837 - 1838
Lafayette Bet. 1839 - 1840
Pinkney Bet. 1841 - 1842
Ellender Bet. 1842 - 1843
Abraham / Abner Bet. 1844 - 1846
Elizabeth Bet. 1844 - 1845
Harriet J. Bet. 1846 - 1848

I believe my children's line comes from Lavinia through her daughter Julia that married Cicero Coleman. For many decades I thought Julia was Judy, but the more I search...I believe Julia is the correct name. Julia also had a son Theodore and he is declared as "illegitimate" on one census form where his father's birth location belonged. It is quite possible that Julia was also illegitimate as Julia also carries last name. I might add that Theodore was next to Cicero Coleman in the 1910 census in Upper Creek, Burke Co., NC. By then Julia had apparently passed on as Cicero remarried in 1893.

Looking forward to knowing which household members are Samuel's children and from whom Samuel descends. One individual in the earlier census that would fit by looking at age groups is Isaac Thompson, but this is pure guess work...so now it's time to ask for help!

Important Note: